Random Beep

Hi,

I had a strange beep from my car (2010 Diesel vRS estate) today on the journey home. A single beep evey few minutes. No warnings showing on the MFD or dash. The sound was coming from the rear of the car, like in the boot area (I don't have any items in the boot that could make the noise so is definitely the car). I've had the car three years and happened once before and just stopped at the end of the journey last time it happened. Never happened again so forgot about it.

I can't see anything mentioned in the manual. Anyone know what it is? I've checked Youtube and Google but can't find anything. I've seen a couple of threads on here that have mentioned tow pack electrics or reversing sensors but my car doesn't have either fitted.

Thanks.

Have a search for issues and repairs threads. I think it hides in the rear left, can't remember if in front or behind rear wheel. I think it's accessible if you take the wheel arch liner out, rather than going under the boot floor/carpet, which make sense to keep the sounder external.

Alarm battery is soldered to the printed circuit board inside the sealed unit. 

Skoda say the alarm should be changed at (7?) years.

Usual fault symptom, due to its battery failure, is that the alarm goes off by itself - randomly and at night (ask my neighbours!)

I had to replace my alarm unit last year so same age as your car at present when first a problem.

I would accept the occasional beep while driving then replace the unit when it goes off when parked.

Also check to the fuse supplying power to the alarm. With the ignition on the small battery is being topped up and should not allow beeps from the alarm whilst driving.

The alarm is situated behind the front drivers side wheel arch. 

I would not rule out that the beep sound is coming from the parking sounder situated behind the lower trim between the doors on the passenger side. Try cleaning the parking sensors.

8 minutes ago, pikpilot said:

Alarm battery is soldered to the printed circuit board inside the sealed unit. 

Skoda say the alarm should be changed at (7?) years.

Usual fault symptom, due to its battery failure, is that the alarm goes off by itself - randomly and at night (ask my neighbours!)

I had to replace my alarm unit last year so same age as your car at present when first a problem.

I would accept the occasional beep while driving then replace the unit when it goes off when parked.

Also check to the fuse supplying power to the alarm. With the ignition on the small battery is being topped up and should not allow beeps from the alarm whilst driving.

The alarm is situated behind the front drivers side wheel arch. 

I would not rule out that the beep sound is coming from the parking sounder situated behind the lower trim between the doors on the passenger side. Try cleaning the parking sensors.

Thanks, I'll have a check of those. The alarm has gone off at random quite a few times in the last few months. I'd thought it was just being a bit sensitive. Looks around 60-70 quid on Aliexpress for a new sounder which seems a lot less hassle than opening the old one up and finding a replacement battery. In the thread I posted above they mention this is a hard to source custom battery, in the past I've used a company called Cell Pack Solutions for making oddball batteries fairly cheaply so that might be of interest to others.

The beeps are definitely coming from the rear of the vehicle though. I had my daughter check while I was driving and she agreed.

My car doesn't have parking sensors so definitely not that.

Edited by StuartMR

I looked at sourcing my alarm from aliexpress and also a well known auction site. The aliexpress alarm was long delivery and my neighbours and wife would never have waited!. The auction site units appeared to be old alarms taken out of cars when replacing  with new ones!

The Varta cells used in the alarm unit can be found on line but are often not wire ended or slightly bigger and different form factor. Several threads on here with photos showing how to cut open the alarm and replace the cells.

As the car came out of the factory (assuming no parking assist) there is nothing in the boot that makes a noise.

Look for something that appears to be added later.