Octavia VRS 2018 New tyres?

Tim74

For summer tyres what about Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 6?

I've been very happy with the earlier versions on both an Audi RS4 and an Octavia Elegance.

Both my Octavia's have come on Continental PremiumContact which I really don't rate - even with only a 1.4 & a 1.8 it's just too easy to spin a front wheel even with the highest level of XDS set.

Recommendation rather depends on if you want a summer tyre that will help you shave a tenth of a second off a lap time or a spirited drive along a B road.

.... or if you want a tyre that is safe, and will get you home whatever the weather.

If (a) then look at

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

If (b) then look at

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

• Like 1

There is a new comparison of sporty summer tyres

1) Continental Sport Contact 7

2) Bridgestone Potenza sport

3 (joint) Goodyear eagle asymmetric 6, Michelin Pilot sport 5, Pirelli P zero PZ4

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2023-AutoBild-Sports-Car-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

• 3 months later...
On 21/02/2023 at 11:37, PetrolDave said:

For summer tyres what about Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 6?

I've been very happy with the earlier versions on both an Audi RS4 and an Octavia Elegance.

Both my Octavia's have come on Continental PremiumContact which I really don't rate - even with only a 1.4 & a 1.8 it's just too easy to spin a front wheel even with the highest level of XDS set.

Late to the party as ever, but I've just had some Asymmetric 6's fitted and lust looking at them I get the feeling they are going to be next to useless in snow.

Ironically, a bit of me wishes I'd gone for the PremiumContact 7's but I chose the Asym 6's as a trade-off choice with better rolling resistance and lower noise than the Contis (supposedly), which will be more important for me, most of the time.

The Turanza 001's which have just been replaced (because they were falling apart) were also rubbish in the snow.

The Asym 6's seem to be all about maximum rubber on the road.

Wouldn't bother with latest summer tyres, unless you swap to winter tyres, they are simply too summer biased nowadays, since all season tyres have become common.  You will find wet grip falls off rapidly below about +10c (and we get lots of cold rain in UK), by time temperature has fallen to +5c they are often skittish in wet, and on rare occasions of snow will be useless and leave you stranded.

Plenty of all seasons in 225/40 R18

Look at some of the recently launched ones (probably will be available July or August), from Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone).  
Tend to hear good things about Vredestein, Goodyear vector Gen3, Falken AS210 too

• Like 1