Best way to insure multiple cars

Aspman

We're about to move up to 4 cars in the household between the Mrs and myself.
We've 2 occasional cars (>1000 miles a year on each) and 2 daily cars  (>3000 a year on these) but we're pretty low mileage.
3 of the cars will be in my name. The 3 we have now are all on seperate policies.
What is most efficient way to insure these vehicles without getting into knots on NCB etc?

• Sponsor
16 hours ago, Aspman said:

We're about to move up to 4 cars in the household between the Mrs and myself.
We've 2 occasional cars (>1000 miles a year on each) and 2 daily cars  (>3000 a year on these) but we're pretty low mileage.
3 of the cars will be in my name. The 3 we have now are all on seperate policies.
What is most efficient way to insure these vehicles without getting into knots on NCB etc?

Hi,

As a broker with lots of insurers to choose from, we often find that it's often more cost effective to keep the vehicles on separate policies. Bonus can often be mirrored if a particular vehicle doesn't have any bonus and some might be suitable for a classic policy where bonus is not required. We are happy to talk through those options with you.

We are able to offer multi-car but it often doesn't work out to be the best option.

Feel free to call us on 0800 917 2274 or complete our webform https://www.chrisknott.co.uk/motor-insurance/car-insurance-quote/ if you would like to discuss the options.

• Like 1

Obviously need to explore all options but my experience mirrors that of the advice from Chrisknottins above.

I changed my habit of always having the info infront of me and called a broker re: multi-car as I was unsure how it worked. The price  worked out cheaper if I insured both cars together so went ahead and was perfectly happy until it came to renewal time. What wasn't made clear to me was they'd quoted the price for the 2nd car pro-rata so that both cars renewal dates would be as one.  So when the renewal came thru... 😲

My mistake for not checking the documentation properly, I made the classic mistake of assuming both cars were being covered for 12mth each when I took out the policy. I lost around £100 by taking out that mutli-car policy as opposed to insuring the cars seperately.  ( which is hard to swallow when you're a Scotsman ! )

It's just one of the reasons I prefer to use online brokers rather than via telephone - I can view everything online and know exactly what I'm being sold.

We’ve been using an Admiral multi-car policy for the last several years, we’ve not been able to get better quotes from any of the comparison sites or brokers to date, our use also includes business use across all three cars.