2022 What Car? Reliability Survey: family cars

Pete

I'm amazed infotainment system issues aren't a higher percentage of problems with the Mk4.

12 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Suggests some bugs in a new platform which may or may not have been ironed out.

I tend to buy cars right at the end of their production life-cycle. This gives a double bonus of having most of the known issues solved, or at least a known solution established, and also a drop in the purchase price to encourage people who might be tempted to wait for the new model to buy existing stock of the old.

Has worked out pretty well so far.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EnterName said:

I'm amazed infotainment system issues aren't a higher percentage of problems with the Mk4.

I tend to buy cars right at the end of their production life-cycle. This gives a double bonus of having most of the known issues solved, or at least a known solution established, and also a drop in the purchase price to encourage people who might be tempted to wait for the new model to buy existing stock of the old.

I read the report, the most common problem was in fact listed as the infotainment?

That system was one of the major reasons that the next car won’t be vw group.

32 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I read the report, the most common problem was in fact listed as the infotainment?

That system was one of the major reasons that the next car won’t be vw group.

Yes, but it was only 31% of the reported problems.

54% of the cars going wrong must be quite worrying for Skoda, who used to be right towards the top of the customer satisfaction survey.

2 hours ago, EnterName said:

Yes, but it was only 31% of the reported problems.

54% of the cars going wrong must be quite worrying for Skoda, who used to be right towards the top of the customer satisfaction survey.

Same sort of results for every vw group car on that floor pan/platform. I’d be very worried if I was VW that they’ve designed   an iffy platform.

On 24/02/2023 at 08:40, EnterName said:

I've always thought that was a sweet spot to buy a car as well. I'd add they often put out fully loaded cars at that stage so get a well sorted, well priced and fully specced car. In theory.

• Like 1

I look for Early Build ones that were Demonstrators a year or more down the line if they turn out to have been good and snag fault free.

Often the best specced one's before penny (euro) pinching comes in.  

This is with not popular cars.  There are sometimes before refreshes / facelifts that these poor sellers then get stuff thrown in as standard and these might be worth going for a year or 3 later. 

• Like 1