I need some help and advice. :(

Hi all, it's been a long time since I posted here and I'm running out of ideas and pulling my hair out.

Settle yourselves in... 

Jan 14th of this year, I thought I'd got myself a bargain, I bought a Octavia VRS 2016, white, estate. Absolutely loved it. It looked brand new, not a single mark on it. It had done what I thought was a reasonable 65k in that time. Full service history (part dealer, part third party.) it also had the water pump and timing belt changed. Nothing else I could find was even close to that level of service history, mileage etc. 

Two weeks later, I saw the dreaded engine management light. It still drove absolutely fine on the way back home, but obviously not knowing what was wrong I stopped driving it. I'd only done about 240 miles in those two weeks if that. 

Contacted the dealership (Perrys Barnsley) and told them, they were quick to help and got me to contact my local Perrys to get booked in. (TWO weeks later) so I was without a car for those two weeks as I didn't want to drive it with an unknown fault and cause more damage. 

Got told the OBD codes were showing Glow Plug 2 and Water Pump and that they'd need to order those parts from Skoda. 

I had to fight for a courtesy car, which I could only keep over the weekend. This went back last Monday. 

Here I am with no car, they will have had it now two weeks tomorrow. No update, no nothing. I keep trying with Perrys Barnsley about what's going on but I am not really getting much back. 

I checked my documents for the car and can see the waterpump was replaced at 57k miles in March 2022. Absolutely no way it's gone already surely? And even if it had it can't take two weeks to source a water pump? (bear in mind, there is a Skoda garage literally next door to my local Perrys). 

What is your take on this? 

Without anything to suggest otherwise, they appear to be dithering and dragging their feet.  

I think if it were me I'd be telling them as such, that the time it has taken so far to resolve two fairly routine issues is unacceptable, and you are of a mind to reject the car, as it's pointless having a car you can't use.

Maybe have a chat with your local Trading Standards, to talk through your options.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
typo
  • Like 3

I would cut out the middleman, Perrys Barnsley and talk directly to the local Perrys branch that has your motor.  If you are a nice person, it could be time to get a little more forceful down the phone at this point, two weeks seems far too long.  I doubt they are struggling to get the parts, but it could be the local Perrys doesn't have the knowledge to work on the car, or they have replaced the part and the error has not gone away, leading to headscratching.

Sadly they are only my best guesses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seafar99 said:

What is the service manager got to say on the matter, why the hold up? 

Two weeks ago they said they needed to order the parts, gave me no ETA other than a week or two. Tomorrow will be week two. My argument is, as others have said water pumps aren't a rare part and surely it doesn't take two weeks to source one. I can get one online for next day delivery! 

• Like 2

It's time to demand answers then. 

What warranty did you get when you  were sold the car? 

3 month's 

6months

1 Yr? 

I agree the water pump should not be failing if it was indeed changed as the service history claims. 

Firstly I'd demand to speak to the service manager. 

• Like 2