Factory xenon retrofit

I've got an opportunity to buy in some xenon headlights particularly cheap... But I'm looking for some advise on how to retrofit..

1) how to do a legitimate swap including sensor etc..

2) how to do a swap without the sensor and washer etc...

3) how to refurbish the projector if it's tarnished as they usually are...

4) if it's even worth doing, my current halogen are crap I've cleaned them up as best I can but tbh they're past now... It's cheaper for me to buy these units with lamps and ballasts than to even buy a replacement set of night breakers or similar bulbs... 

Thoughts on a post card with these, they look to be in bloody good nick with all tabs attached too

Screenshot_20230302-113236.png

Edited by Xhuy10nx

Can't help with advice for the swap I'm sorry, but ours has the Xenons factory fitted and I'm not kidding when I tell you our 2012 VW UP with a set of Nightbreakers in it has WAAAY brighter headlights.

These units might be cheaper, but factor in the hassle involved in the swap and it may not be worth your effort.

Just some food for thought 👍

• Like 1

The headlights themselves are plug and play. I swapped the halogen units on mine for Xenons, but not the level sensor or larger washer bottle. 

The reflectors/lens can and do fade over time, thus reducing their effectiveness. I have seen a post where someone was going to  replace the reflectors/lens, but don’t recall if I read the end result?! 

@Lofty I has a great wealth of knowledge and may be able to offer more 

Edited by Titanium_Man

They were never the best to begin with, but with them being at least 16 years old now, chances are the projector lenses are dirty, and the reflector bowl has begun to degrade.

You can get the reflector bowls recoated, but you'd probably be better off dropping in an entirely new set of projectors.

https://retrofitlab.com/collections/skoda-fabia-6y/products/skoda-fabia-6y-1999-2007-bi-xenon-xenon-headlights

Make sure you get projectors for left hand traffic/right hand drive.

To retrofit a set of xenons back to original factory spec is very involved and probably only best attempted if you have a breaker car with them on - side by side - so you can get all the bits you'll need.

You'd need the following

Headlights (you have these)

Factory ballasts

Ballast bracket for drivers side (under rad support panel)

Front Bumper with washer jets & jet covers

5 litre screenwash tank

Pipework for washers from tank

Xenon specific dash trim (round the headlight switch) as there is no internal levelling option

Wiring loom to leveling sensor (on rear beam)

Levelling sensor itself

Heat proof shield for leveling sensor

Technically speaking for them to appear "factory original" the washers will need to work for MOT purposes, unless you have a friendly tester.

To refurbish original xenons will require patience and deep pockets. The last set i had re-metallised (the projector bowls burn off the original silver mirror coating) cost me about £160. You'll have to strip the lamps down completely and rebuild with new D2S bulbs etc.

Downside is to original xenons, well frankly they are a bit crap, even when they were new they were not night and day better than the OE halogen units, they just looked funkier and were very "modern" in their day. Certainly they are nothing like modern headlights for output or reach.

I'd suggest a retrofit of new projectors and bowls if they are reasonable, although i've never done it, they appear to give good results.

Good thing to resell if you don't like them, they are expensive and rare to find, also washers are very rare, i tried to find ones for my bumper. You can also buy headlights and try to find leveling sensor and stuff. But i can tell that mine Novsight H7 LED is brighter than my friends xenon on Passat from 2009, also H7 from novsight is not blinding other people in traffic and it has straight line just like halogen ones.