Front brake pads

Which front brake pads are folk using successfully?

When I bought the car it had new front and rear discs and pads fitted (eicher front pads) which have always rattled. Took the car back and they basically fanny’d it up with some brake grease which worked for a while. 

This morning when braking in a car part I got a grinding noise like metal to metal of worn pads, the noise has went away after the initial braking however imo it’s time to sort what the dealer couldn’t. The pads are in decent condition apart from the rattle and have only done about 5k miles. 

The pad rattle seems to be a fairly common issue across the mk7 platform so I’m looking for opinions on pads that have worked for others. I have the 340mm 1LG brakes if it helps. 

cheers

I've got no experience of the later Octavias, but I have been unhappy with Eurocarparts two "Own brands", Eicher and Brembo. The last few sets I've fitted have been ATE and I can't fault them. They make a lot of the calipers for VAG, so I'll trust them to do the discs and pads. Cheap as well, I get mine from PartsInMotion. 

1 hour ago, StevesTruck said:

I've got no experience of the later Octavias, but I have been unhappy with Eurocarparts two "Own brands", Eicher and Brembo. The last few sets I've fitted have been ATE and I can't fault them. They make a lot of the calipers for VAG, so I'll trust them to do the discs and pads. Cheap as well, I get mine from PartsInMotion. 

Aye that makes sense I suppose, I think it’s a TRW caliper so makes sense to fit TRW pads. 

Grinding is away so presumably it was a bit of crap between the disc and dust shield. 

I have experience with regular ATE pads, TRW ones and ATE’s Ceramic. The latter works best for me as regular driver with non-drilled/slotted rotors, plus they last long and produce less dust :) 

I've always found Pagid to be decent, I agree about the earlier post about Brembo. I once replaced a set of Brembo pads on a Abarth 500, they were absolute rubbish, lasted around 5k. I've used pagid on a few different makes of vehicles, never had an issue once, always seem decent quality. 

I've not changed a set on my Octavia yet, but they look an easy to replace. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, just a wee update, I fitted TRW pads today and they have the rubber backing people talk about when they refer to genuine pads.

Main thing is, the annoying rattle is gone and Mrs is happy!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've fitted Apec front discs and pads to my motor about 8 weeks ago and I've started hearing a small knocking noise only upon reversing..  the pads were well greased on each side too. They were TRW before and didn't make any noise. Calipers also TRW.

12 hours ago, StoreyR said:

I've fitted Apec front discs and pads to my motor about 8 weeks ago and I've started hearing a small knocking noise only upon reversing..  the pads were well greased on each side too. They were TRW before and didn't make any noise. Calipers also TRW.

If it’s rattle due to the slightly lower size of the pads, it won’t go away regradless of the amount of grease you put.

If it’s more like squeaking, let them bed in for some more time.

3 hours ago, fr1nklyn said:

If it’s rattle due to the slightly lower size of the pads, it won’t go away regradless of the amount of grease you put.

If it’s more like squeaking, let them bed in for some more time.

They're not squeaking what so ever. Which I'm glad for. I thought I nailed it for the first couple hundred miles they seemed fine!

Then all of a sudden I'm hearing a small knocking sound when I reverse manuover. 

1 hour ago, StoreyR said:

They're not squeaking what so ever. Which I'm glad for. I thought I nailed it for the first couple hundred miles they seemed fine!

Then all of a sudden I'm hearing a small knocking sound when I reverse manuover. 

Let them bed in. How often do you reverse? You’re overthinking it 😃

You know what.. I actually done proper motorway driving today and coincidentally they didn't knock when I reversed back on the drive now. You might be right, they just need more bed in.