Skoda Yeti - xenon full beam - not working?

Hyeung

Hi,

We have an old 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2Tdi.

Just had its 90k service, and unfortunately the garage (dealership) has picked up an issue with our driver side full beam.

We have the xenon headlights, and it appears that the driver side full beam does not work.

However, what came more of a shock was that they've advised on their report is a complete headlamp unit replacement with a cost of £915.97!!

Looking at the breakdown is appears to be more the cost of the parts than anything else:

1.2hrs labour to replace with parts:

5L2941018C part - £442.61+vat (think this is the headlamp unit)

N10566102 part - £206.70+vat (i assume this is the bulb?)

As it stands, the side lights work, the dip beam looks fine. Only issue is when the full beams are on, it appears only to be the left that goes on. Not something we've noticed as very rarely use it. And there is no errors shown on the dash to suggest that a fault exists. Fortunately we have some time to and not got our MOT till October. 

Does this genuinely indicate a complete unit failure? and not an isolated bulb issue for instance (please excuse me, as i'm not exactly technical on these areas)

Just on here to see if anyone has had this issue and can provide any advice on their resolution? 

Obviously the route provided is based on dealership - replacing full oem parts on everything as it seems.

Just wondered if there could be a cheaper alternative to purse via an independent for instance? Or is it the case that its not going to make a difference and hence the only real viable option is to replace those oem parts at full cost to really resolve the matter?

The parts i've been told are not even in stock, and have to be a factory order of some kind....

Btw, I'm not a motoring diyer so unlikely will take the approach of fixing this myself (taking things apart etc). 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Hyeung said:

the garage (dealership)

Guessing this is Henry's? If so, then A for Audi charged half the labour rate the last time I was there, and would be more amenable to supplying pattern parts.

5 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Guessing this is Henry's? If so, then A for Audi charged half the labour rate the last time I was there, and would be more amenable to supplying pattern parts.

I don't think the issue is around labour, as its only about 1hr work. I'm on the mind that some places just take the replace the entire unit approach, even when there might be a common fix by replacing only the specific part (if possible). Hence just wanted to explore this on the forum.

When you mention pattern parts, assume you're talking about oem alternatives?

Again, would be nice if someone had had experience on this issue and has done this exactly. Would welcome some feedback on costs etc. and what was involved.

If I check out A for Audi....do i take the approach of telling them another dealership identified a fault on our full beam light (and they proposed full headlamp unit replacement).

And simply ask them what it would cost them to fix? They might want me to bring the car in for further review (which i'll end up getting charged for a looking into it?)

1 hour ago, Hyeung said:

5L2941018C part - £442.61+vat (think this is the headlamp unit)

N10566102 part - £206.70+vat (i assume this is the bulb?)

Yes to both, and you might be replacing it for nothing (no idea why you need a new bulb, and can be got elsewhere for loads cheaper)

Do a search for "D1S" and see how cheap they are compared to the above price quoted at you.  (You can get one from Halfords for £41)

And I always recommend changing in pair, as you will have one bright and one dull lamp afterwards.

Anyhow, as to the actual fault of the headlamp, I assume these must be what is called Bi-Xenon, so they have just a single bulb (the D1S) that produces the dipped and high beam using a mechanical shutter.

If that's correct, then you may just have a simple broken wire, and could be fixed for a much smaller cost.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, varooom said:

Anyhow, as to the actual fault of the headlamp, I assume these must be what is called Bi-Xenon, so they have just a single bulb (the D1S) that produces the dipped and high beam using a mechanical shutter.

They use a halogen for high beam and Bi-Xenon for high and low.
That's because the Bi-Xenon takes a while to get to full brightness so the Halogen is to cover the "Flash"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Urrell said:

They use a halogen for high beam and Bi-Xenon for high and low.
That's because the Bi-Xenon takes a while to get to full brightness so the Halogen is to cover the "Flash"

To summaries....the unit has x2 types of bulbs (Halogen and Bi-Xenon i.e. D1S) ?

The fact that my dipped lights work fine on both sides, mean that both Bi-Xenon's bulbs are OK?

As my driver side full beam is not working, does that mean it could potentially just be the Halogen bulb on the driver side unit?

I assume that dealer would have done a diagnostic check to confirm that its the unit and not the halogen bulb surely?

But as Urrel mentions, not sure why they would have quoted a Bi-Xenon bulb (N10566102)??

Does anyone know if the unit is serviceable anyways? I assume if its totally sealed?

As other independent would probably take the same approach if the unit is entirely sealed i.e. non serviceable. 

If this was my own car, I would be getting a second person to assist.

One sits in the car and operates the lights, so you can see what does and does not light up.

If the fault is in the metal shutter that covers the D1S bulb, then this can be inside the headlight, or a wire coming from inside the car to signal it to open for high beam.

Should be pin 8 on either side (a 14 pin connector) NS it should be grey and yellow wire, and OS (driver) should be blue and yellow iirc.  You could with a multimeter see if there's power at least getting to the headlight to "flip" the shutter.  If it has power on Pin 8 when you operate high beam, then you know it's inside the headlight.

5 hours ago, Hyeung said:

As my driver side full beam is not working, does that mean it could potentially just be the Halogen bulb on the driver side unit?

Both bulbs do the full beam so seems you have more than one problem.
Do any of the "drivers side" lights come on when on high beam?

13 hours ago, Urrell said:

Both bulbs do the full beam so seems you have more than one problem.
Do any of the "drivers side" lights come on when on high beam?

So as mentioned in my initial post - for driver side - side lights work fine, the dipped lights work fine, but when you operate the full beam i'm only getting the dipped lights on.

Does that answer you question?

I think you've stated that the unit contains x2 bulbs - Halogen for full beam; and Bi-Xeons for both full beam and dip lights - correct?

Based on my observations, I am under the impression that the Bi-Xenons (D1S ?) are working fine as i'm getting the light through when dipped lights are on.

However, i can't be sure if there is an issue with the Halogen bulb (don't know if its possible to tell visually?) At first i didnt even know there was x2 bulbs. 

Or possibly the Halogen bulb is operating fine but its the mechanism within the unit thats not opening things (shutter?).

Curious if the Bi-xenons are D1S. what is the equivalent bulb type codes for the Halogens in that unit?

11 minutes ago, Hyeung said:

However, i can't be sure if there is an issue with the Halogen bulb (don't know if its possible to tell visually?)

Easy peasy Japanesey - The (in this case RH) halogen bulb lights up. Switch the headlights on, set main beam, then walk to the front of the car and look.

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

Easy peasy Japanesey - The (in this case RH) halogen bulb lights up. Switch the headlights on, set main beam, then walk to the front of the car and look.

That's exactly what I did btw. It was during daylight so perhaps it wasn't the easiest way to tell, might need to do this when its darker?

At the time all i could see when crouching down was a beam of light....couldnt say for sure dipped or high beam. However, when in the car and flipping between full beam and dipped....i could tell that the left was working and right was not.

19 hours ago, varooom said:

If this was my own car, I would be getting a second person to assist.

One sits in the car and operates the lights, so you can see what does and does not light up.

I did mention you need a 2nd person to assist you, so that you can observe what is happening.

5 minutes ago, Hyeung said:

That's exactly what I did btw. It was during daylight so perhaps it wasn't the easiest way to tell, might need to do this when its darker?

At the time all i could see when crouching down was a beam of light....couldnt say for sure dipped or high beam. However, when in the car and flipping between full beam and dipped....i could tell that the left was working and right was not.

Even in the daylight, which is not ideal you could get some pictures of dipped and high beam so we can see if you have additional bulb lighting up.

Don't overthink things, you have a stalk on your steering column, that sends a signal to a control unit when you ask for high beam, this is then sent to the headlights to operate either an additional bulb, or a mechanical shutter.  I am saying that you might just have a break in the wire that sends the signal to the driver side, and the dealers want to stiff you for a new headlight when it could just be a broken wire.  Meanwhile you pay for a new light you don't need and weirdly a bulb that you can get for about forty quid.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hyeung said:

Big hint #2 - You (should) have 2 lights on on each side when you select main beam, one plasma discharge unit and 1 halogen bulb.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, varooom said:

Even in the daylight, which is not ideal you could get some pictures of dipped and high beam so we can see if you have additional bulb lighting up.

I'll have another look to see if i can get some view on the dipped and high beam on the driver side. Just to know what's going inside this driver side unit.

4 minutes ago, varooom said:

Don't overthink things, you have a stalk on your steering column, that sends a signal to a control unit when you ask for high beam, this is then sent to the headlights to operate either an additional bulb, or a mechanical shutter.  I am saying that you might just have a break in the wire that sends the signal to the driver side, and the dealers want to stiff you for a new headlight when it could just be a broken wire.  Meanwhile you pay for a new light you don't need and weirdly a bulb that you can get for about forty quid.

I total understand where you coming from, and really appreciate your input. 

As mentioned in my post, i'm not a diy type of person, don't have a multi-meter nor the knowledge or confidence to poke around on the wiring; never mind the though of taking things apart etc.

I could only see myself taking this to another non-dealer garage at best to get another opinion or quote on the fix? 

I know dealers will always take the approach of replacing the entire units/parts without wasting time to consider a possible repair to the underlying part/unit.

The problem is, even if i do take this to another garage (non-dealer) would the result not likely be the same in terms of a requested replacement unit? 

As I'm not sure if another garage will even consider taking the approach of repairing or investigating a broken wire (if that what it showed).....

Well the minimum you can do is take a few pictures of the dipped beam, then high beam activation (ideally at night, but daytime can work if you can see difference)

Then you can think about the next steps, as we know already that the dealership is having you on with the bulb price alone (no idea why they cannot take the old bulb out and transfer!?!)

Best of luck, hope to see some pictures later or a video if possible.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, varooom said:

weirdly a bulb that you can get for about forty quid.

8 minutes ago, varooom said:

Well the minimum you can do is take a few pictures of the dipped beam, then high beam activation (ideally at night, but daytime can work if you can see difference)

Then you can think about the next steps, as we know already that the dealership is having you on with the bulb price alone (no idea why they cannot take the old bulb out and transfer!?!)

Best of luck, hope to see some pictures later or a video if possible.

Yup will do that soon and report back!

Yeah I was thinking the same, why can't they transfer the existing bulbs out? As I know for a fact that the bi-xenon bulb is working (i.e. dipped lights).

Sorry for me being stupid, but doesn't a full unit replacement unit (part - 5L2941018C) come fully equipped with all the required bulbs?

Obviously there are multiple bulbs in the unit (side light bulb, fog light, turn signal bulb, bi-xenon and halogen for the full beam). They've not been any quotes for these other bulbs but on the bi-xenon which already works?

Looking at the diagram - Skoda Halogen Twin Headlights With<Br>Gas Discharge Bulb 5L2941018C - LLLParts

I count x6 bulbs in total 

part 5  - Gas discharge lamp D1S-12V35W => This is the bi-xenon light used for both dip lights and high beam lights 

part 6 - blue, glass bulb 12V/W5W =>  Assume this is side light bulbs?

part 7 - bulb carrier with bulb P13W => Assume these are the daytime running lights (situated on the round fog lamp section)?

part 8 - bulb carrier with bulb for turn signal bulb P13W  => turn signal light 

part 9 - halogen bulb Halogen fog lamp H7-12V-55W => fog lamp light

part 9 - Halogen bulb long life H7-12V-55W => Is this the other light we are referring to that's used for high beam light only?

For me, there is no additional high beam H7, only the D1S.

I could be wrong, but part 9 is fog lamp, and the 2nd part 9 is same location with a long life H7.

Anyhow, I could be wrong, images of them off/dipped/high beam will show up what's what.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, varooom said:

For me, there is no additional high beam H7, only the D1S.

I could be wrong, but part 9 is fog lamp, and the 2nd part 9 is same location with a long life H7.

Anyhow, I could be wrong, images of them off/dipped/high beam will show up what's what.

Yeah exactly, I couldn't figure it out from the diagram....there is no obvious location for the 2nd part 9.

If the two part 9's are the same location i.e. get a standard H7 or a long life version of H7. Then perhaps there is only a single bi-xenon (D1S) that does both low and high.

Like you say, will find out when i check out in the dark again.

I assume you've don't have the same Yeti but Octavia version with Bi-Xenons?

Thanks bro. 

I just tried my 2013 (pre-facelift) Elegance in the garage and I'm pretty sure there are no halogens for main beam. With the ignition on (no engine running) with headlights turned on I hear quite a thump noise from the headlights as the beam shutters move. Turn the headlights off and they extinguish instantly, unlike the foglamps which when turned off have a lag as they fade out.  Also with no ignition on and all lights turned off the headlight flasher switch works and the xenons fire instantly accompanied with the thump sound too.

Edited by muddyjim

17 minutes ago, muddyjim said:

Also with no ignition on and all lights turned off the headlight flasher switch works and the xenons fire instantly accompanied with the thump sound too.

On mine post facelift but I think no difference, when headlamp flash operated the H7 halogens light up with a relay heard clicking but Bi-Xenons remain off.

It's EITHER the bulb, OR the headlamp - ridiculously unlikely to be both.

Any garage that wants to change both is a garage that clearly don't understand the difference between their rectum & elbow.

• Like 1