Handbrake issues

hi, i don't post on here very often so i'll thank for any help in advance.

For a few months now i've ben having handbrake issues on my mk 3 hatchback.

What's happening is the back brakes creek after applying the hand brake, like it's not fuly engaged but it actually does hold. and when i take the handbrake off and do any kind of manouver in the car, the back brakes creak again. Over winter this year when the temps have been low, when i lower my handbrake it seems to bounce towards the bottom, then the light comes on saying handbrake still on. Like the handbrake is resisting going down. I can drive with my hand on it and after 10 min or so it seems to go down properly. but that's only at cold temps.

Last year when i had these issues, i replaced my rear discs and pads and did the handbrake pull up to re adjust the pots, and this didn't do anything.

I'm now at a loss as to what i can do next. Some places say the handbrake cable is over stretched and needs replacing, and others say it may be calliper issues.

I have just bought some dot 4 and going to change the fluid this weekend as it hasn't had any new for a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. it's starting to drive me mad.

Thanks

Barnowl

4 hours ago, barnowl005095 said:

Some places say the handbrake cable is over stretched and needs replacing

How many clicks to HB full on?

when i lower my handbrake it seems to bounce towards the bottom, then the light comes on saying handbrake still on.

Have you tried actively pushing the HB down or do you just let the return spring (and gravity) do all the work?

Hi, i do push it down but when its cold it doesnt want to stay down all the way. It’s like its trying to push back a little bit.

The handbrake has usual 3-4 clicks. 4th click requires effort though ha

Barnowl

2 hours ago, barnowl005095 said:

Hi, i do push it down but when its cold it doesnt want to stay down all the way. It’s like its trying to push back a little bit.

The handbrake has usual 3-4 clicks. 4th click requires effort though ha

Barnowl

I don't think the cables are over-stretched. It's possible that the outer sheaths are just starting to corrode through?

Sounds very plausible Ken in terms of the drag but the handbrake should be able to return fully even with a siezed cable as the compensator would just slide back over the cable inner.

Does the OP have a "Big Box" type centre console with the sliding plastic tambour hiding the handbrake mechanism? This could be binding or snagging preventing the handbrake releasing fully.

Edited by J.R.