Help with Android Auto Google Maps Sat Nav

Hi all.

Can any of you regular Sat-Nav users give me a few tips.

I'm not regularly driving long distances or even every day.So I just drove from the West Mids to Yorkshire for a few days and used Google Maps.

Going from A-B isn't a problem.

Where I'm struggling is how to stop the navigation when it's no longer required or pause if I stop off on route.Phone is an Android Pixel.

Also my phone keeps reconnecting to the car despite trying to turn off Bluetooth.

I'm obviously missing something basic here or just plain stupid.

Thanks

Edited by GrumpyOldGit
grammar

With my Skoda and Android Auto if you connect the phone to the car via a cable the phone will turn the Bluetooth on automatically.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 2

On 01/04/2023 at 12:05, GrumpyOldGit said:

Hi all.

Can any of you regular Sat-Nav users give me a few tips.

I'm not regularly driving long distances or even every day.So I just drove from the West Mids to Yorkshire for a few days and used Google Maps.

Going from A-B isn't a problem.

Where I'm struggling is how to stop the navigation when it's no longer required or pause if I stop off on route.Phone is an Android Pixel.

Also my phone keeps reconnecting to the car despite trying to turn off Bluetooth.

I'm obviously missing something basic here or just plain stupid.

Thanks

What do you mean by "stop the navigation" - just cancel the route, or the whole Android Auto?

As AGFalco says - if you're connecting the phone via the cable to one of the USB ports in the front, it will automatically turn the bluetooth on.

I connect wirelessly.

If the phone is in range it keeps turning the Bluetooth connection back on after I tried to disconnect via the infotainment screen or my phone.

When I got closer to home I knew where I was and didn't need the sat nav but struggled to end navigation.Also if I detour to a service station or supermarket I struggle to stop it trying to redirect me.

As you gather I only use occasionally and don't know what I'm doing.

I'm not sure about turning the bluetooth on automatically without the cable, unless there's a bluetooth function I'm not aware of... If it's off, it should be off, but don't know what the phone manufacturers came up with. What phone is it?

You can always end the route guidance - I think it's an "X" somewhere on the screen. If I remember, I will take a photo next time I drive and post it here. :)

In google maps over apple car play you just touch the map somewhere on the top and a menu bar dops down. There you have search option on the left and stop navigation on the right (if navigation is active). Could be something similar on android auto. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

In google maps over apple car play you just touch the map somewhere on the top and a menu bar dops down. There you have search option on the left and stop navigation on the right (if navigation is active). Could be something similar on android auto. 

In Android Auto, there's in the bottom right corner (in the UK cars) - it's got time and distance to destination, and an X to cancel the routing. Also, you can add a stop, choose an alternati e route, etc. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tishout said:

In Android Auto, there's in the bottom right corner (in the UK cars) - it's got time and distance to destination, and an X to cancel the routing. Also, you can add a stop, choose an alternati e route, etc. 

Thanks.That's what i was sort of expecting but didn't see.

Phone is Pixel 6.So I will look a little harder, as I saw the time/distance to destination but missed or didn't have a X.

I only connected phone for sat nav and possible phone call, don't play music from phone.

Was annoying the wife as sat nav kept nagging and I could only shut it up by muting audio or turning the phone off.

29 minutes ago, GrumpyOldGit said:

Thanks.That's what i was sort of expecting but didn't see.

Phone is Pixel 6.So I will look a little harder, as I saw the time/distance to destination but missed or didn't have a X.

I only connected phone for sat nav and possible phone call, don't play music from phone.

Was annoying the wife as sat nav kept nagging and I could only shut it up by muting audio or turning the phone off.

Will look at uploading a pic tomorrow. I've muted all voice guidance - that's annoying by default... 🤣🤣🤣