High level brake light not working

insx

My high level brake light has stopped working but it's a bit weird. I removed the light unit and I can measure 11v (close enough to 12v, I presume) at the connector when the brake pedal is pressed. If I apply 12v from a power supply, the unit lights up. When the unit is connected to the car, I'm only measuring 6v at the connector. I can get a replacement unit cheap enough but it would appear to be working(?)

It could be a sign of damaged wire(s) between the tailgate and the main body of the car, I would carefully pull off the rubber boot from the body and check for damage.It could be a sign of damaged wire(s) between the tailgate and the main body of the car, I would carefully pull off the rubber boot from the body and check for damage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChrisTids said:

It could be a sign of damaged wire(s) between the tailgate and the main body of the car, I would carefully pull off the rubber boot from the body and check for damage.It could be a sign of damaged wire(s) between the tailgate and the main body of the car, I would carefully pull off the rubber boot from the body and check for damage.

It was certainly a problem I had on my Roomster.  My local garage patched in a new bit of wire and it was sorted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I don't know exactly how broken the wire was but it was certainly properly broken after I had "carefully" removed the rubber boot. New bit of wire soldered in and problem solved.