Engine Radiator Fan - not spinning!

TheEpicBlob

Hi all,

I noticed today a ‘funny noise’ coming from engine bay when I turned car off.

I had always put this down the radiator fan running after long/hot journeys, but noticed it wasn’t the fan (I believe the coolant pump) after I investigated.

I then turned engine over, let it run for roughly 5 minutes, and checked the fan during, and to my surprise it didn’t move.

Turn engine off, (I assume) coolant pump runs for 120 seconds and shuts off.

Should the radiator fan always run when the engine is on, or is this only when reaching a certain temp? I’d have assumed it’d always be on with the engine, but only left running if still hot after engine off.

16 minutes ago, TheEpicBlob said:

Should the radiator fan always run when the engine is on

No. It can come on if you have the AC running?

16 minutes ago, TheEpicBlob said:

or is this only when reaching a certain temp?

Yes.

19 minutes ago, TheEpicBlob said:

coolant pump runs for 120 seconds and shuts off

Not if it is a mechanically driven pump.

Thanks AG Falco

5 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

No. It can come on if you have the AC running?

Yes.

Not if it is a mechanically driven pump.

Thanks AG Falco

Thanks, I’ll go for a drive and check before I turn the engine off! No AC, unfortunately!

There was something definitely running once engine was off, I could feel the coolant return vibrating. However, this could have just been something else vibrating, but I can’t really think what?

1 hour ago, TheEpicBlob said:

I could feel the coolant return vibrating.

If it is like mine, you don't have a temperature gauge.

Is the engine running too hot?

Thanks. AG Falco

17 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

If it is like mine, you don't have a temperature gauge.

Is the engine running too hot?

Thanks. AG Falco

I know the head unit doesn’t display the temp of the engine (just always says 90), but no other temp display.

It’s not that it’s running hot, just falling to bits, and I’m expecting something to fail _like_ the fan, so wanted to catch it before summer!

It should read 90C when the engine is up to normal temperature. The temp is very steady - only goes a little above 90C on a hot day dragging a big load up steep hills.

It will read a lower temp when starting from cold!

Of the two thermostats fitted around the the water pump (driven off the engine), one opens at 80C and the other at 105C, the point being that coolant doesn't even flow to the radiator until >80C, and the electric fan rarely needs to cool, as the radiator is enough, unless you are stationary on a hot day.

It has been known that electric fans can get seized bearings, but I doubt this is happening.

Edited by freemansteve

4 hours ago, freemansteve said:

It should read 90C when the engine is up to normal temperature. The temp is very steady - only goes a little above 90C on a hot day dragging a big load up steep hills.

It will read a lower temp when starting from cold!

Of the two thermostats fitted around the the water pump (driven off the engine), one opens at 80C and the other at 105C, the point being that coolant doesn't even flow to the radiator until >80C, and the electric fan rarely needs to cool, as the radiator is enough, unless you are stationary on a hot day.

It has been known that electric fans can get seized bearings, but I doubt this is happening.

Thanks for the info. Something is up as it’s always 90c, even when starting from -10!

There is a noise from the engine bay, I’ve tried to record what’s happening (or not!)

I wonder if somehow the fan has become detached from the motor? There is something definitely rotating and it sounds like it’s from the radiator!

40 minutes ago, TheEpicBlob said:

There is something definitely rotating and it sounds like it’s from the radiator

In the video it look like the fan is running, ( and knocking against something ).

Try looking at the fan with the engine running and the watch what happen when some one else turns the engine off.

It could be the fan slowing down.

42 minutes ago, TheEpicBlob said:

something is up as it’s always 90c, even when starting from -10!

So the car thinks it is too hot an is running the fan to cool it.

Can you do a plug in and find live data of what the actual coolant temperature is?

Thanks. AG Falco

6 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

In the video it look like the fan is running, ( and knocking against something ).

Try looking at the fan with the engine running and the watch what happen when some one else turns the engine off.

It could be the fan slowing down.

So the car thinks it is too hot an is running the fan to cool it.

Can you do a plug in and find live data of what the actual coolant temperature is?

Thanks. AG Falco

Fan is definitely stationary, think it’s a crap video!

It’s the same when the engine is running after a 40min drive (20mins motorway and then 20mins stop/start traffic), it’s not moving.

• Haha 1

Check blade fuse 2 on right side (as you look) of the fuseholder on the battery (second nearest fuse to front of car). If that's intact, unplug the connector of the radiator thermoswitch (often near radiator bottom hose connection) and short the terminals of the loom plug, fan should spin up (mind fingers/hands).

Screenshot 2023-04-20 19.25.42.png

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Check blade fuse 2 on right side (as you look) of the fuseholder on the battery (second nearest fuse to front of car). If that's intact, unplug the connector of the radiator thermoswitch (often near radiator bottom hose connection) and short the terminals of the loom plug, fan should spin up (mind fingers/hands).

Screenshot 2023-04-20 19.25.42.png

Thanks - checked fuse and is intact.

I noticed that the head unit now does display a temp starting at 50 and did rise slightly after a 5min idle; the only thing I did under the hood was jiggle, what I assume was, the coolant temp sensor (connector from the coolant reservoir).

Will see what temps read after commute tomorrow, I’m sure I’ve never seen the temp change in the past!