2016 citigo front subframe

PETER COSGROVE

Hello Just had mot , (corroded subframe not seriously weakened), anyone know how much to replace?  Very disappointed , it is quite bad on the welded seams  I do live in seaside environment and the car is kept on the road, but still think this is poor.

Cost to replace will depend where you get the part from, whether it is new or 2nd hand, and your local labour rates.

If you want to know part price for genuine new from skoda, message me your VIN.  (Or just phone your local dealership parts counter, obviously).

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

Pre-VAT price looks to be in the ballpark of £360 genuine, but aftermarket alternatives probably exist that are considerably cheaper.

May not be bad enough to deserve replacement to be honest. Another MOT tester may not have even mentioned it.

Thanks Pete, the rust is on the seams, they are quite crusty and are separating, can't see how that would ever affect the strength unless they disappeared!

In my day oil leaks from  engines provided  sufficient anti rust for such items. I brushed some engine oil on after a bit of wire brushing, I know it can't last, but it made me feel better!

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 13:00, PETER COSGROVE said:

oil leaks from  engines provided  sufficient anti rust

So this car hasn't got the SLCS option then.

Self Lubricating Chassis System. 😁

I spray paint the subframe/exhaust and other bits every year in the autumn on all my cars.

Thanks. AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
added Spray paint bit.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, PETER COSGROVE said:

Not sure how to mark as solution

What did you do?

If anything.

Thanks. AG Falco

13 hours ago, PETER COSGROVE said:

brushed some engine oil

I spray paint mine with black no nonsense spray paint:- 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-spray-paint-gloss-black-400ml/8591R?tc=MA4&ds_rl=1243321&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9deiBhC1ARIsAHLjR2D5adp-MvmRtc9HwU74D4B65M9ScXKQ2MysuLM_hS9rbsJ5jm47IHAaAk8VEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also have a 2009 Fiat Panda 134K miles with a non rusty rear axle:-

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiat+panda+rear+axle+corrosion&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB917GB917&oq=fiat+panda+rear+axle&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l2j0i15i22i30j0i22i30l4.9561j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Wash all the dirt off, let it dry and spray once a year in the autumn.

Cheap and easy.

Thanks, AG Falco