Skoda Citigo 2014 Radiator Fan

Frankp2112

Hi,

I have a 2014 Citgo and the radiator fan is not kicking which means we see a overheating warning in traffic.

The car as A/C.

Looking at the owners manual it says it should have a fuse for the rad fan at position S2.

When I looked on my car there is no fuse at all and it looks like no wiring for a fan.

I have attached a code reader and there are no error codes.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking next to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Frank

IMG_20180420_191517.thumb.jpg.d0da29ebb7f62eb938fa0199744d5bde.jpg

I reckon you have not owned the car from new, and someone has previously removed the fuse, owing to a problem.

Normally, the fan hardly ever comes on in cool weather, just driving along calmly, so most of the time you'd never notice a fan problem, but in traffic, as the weather gets warmer, it should kick in every so often.

Assuming that the fuse was removed because it kept blowing, I'd check the wiring to the fan for a short, but it could also be the fan motor has failed and shorted, or most likely that the fan is physically stuck, or the bearings seized (both will cause over-current and blow the fuse).

20 hours ago, Frankp2112 said:

I have a 2014 Citgo

What fuel, petrol or diesel?

I have been driving Skoda diesels for the last 18 years and the radiator fans have never once cut in on any of them under any conditions to reduce the coolant temperature, that would not be true of a petrol version.

Are there any contacts in that vacant fuseholder, hard to tell from the camera angle but it does not look like there are.

What do you mean by" it looks like no wiring for a fan", an absence of fuse contacts or nothing connected to the fan?

The former usually means you are not looking in the correct place for the fuse, the manuals are frequently incorrect especially for RHD vehicles where they show mirror images.

That fuse is only there if the car doesn't have A/C as far as I recall from a recent thread on a car that didn't.

I'll look at circuits when I get a chance, to give you some testing ideas for the fan.

Cabin fuse no. 1, and strip fuse no. 6 (2nd from left) in the covered section in the left part of your photo above, are the only ones relevant on your car.

If they check out OK disconnect the fan at the connector where it goes from 3 wires (from fan control module) to 2 wires (to fan itself) and apply 12V to the fan side wires red wire positive, brown negative.  If that spins up OK (fingers/hands clear, it'll go at full chat, loud and choppy-fingery) the fan itself is OK, and the fault will either be the connector, which contains the low-speed resistor according to the circuits, or the fan control module.

Report back on fuses and direct feed test first. 👍

• Like 1