Roomster 2011 1.2tsi 86hp

Good day all,

My old banger started to run rough / uneven and the ECP light came on, I drove it on a further 4 odd miles in a higher gear than normal. It was parked up for 3 hours and then ran and drove perfectly 10 miles home. I plugged in a cheap Trekpow diagnostic interface this afternoon and it tells me code P030200 cyl 2 misfire.

Is it the coil pack or spark plugs, or both?

Thank you in anticipation 

Welcome.

So when were the spark plugs last changed or checked. Most likely them.

Spark plugs expiring can shorten the life of coils, so best get the plugs out and new in.

There is the issue of old with plug 3's lead.  So has the car got an armoured lead? 

• Like 1

Toot, 

Spark plugs, ign leads and coil pack changed at 15.08.2018 at 123,622 km. Its now done only 166 thousand kilometers, so only 40,000 odd kilometeres in 5 years.

Don't  know if age makes a difference to mileage. It doesn't appear to have armoured leads.

Skoda / VW UK service interval is 4 years / 40,000 miles.  That does not mean they need replacing then, but if they do they do, and yours might.

Armoured lead threads and mis-firing TSI treads are common on here.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/495806-ht-lead-skoda-fabia

Run the car in the dark and open the bonnet and see if there is a 'light show'.

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

I changed the spark plugs this morning and according to the last receipt there should have been NGK plugs, but by some miracle they had Bosch written on them. Anyway, the little plastic things that are attached at the bottom of the plug lead seem to be broken, well 3 out of four. Started car anyway not expecting much it was ticking over nice and definitely quieter drove off but by the time 3rd gear it started misfiring. So have ordered new leads. Should I order a new coil as well? 

IMG_20230506_090449.jpg

• 5 months later...

Yeah, leads are a common problem. Had them go bad both on my Roomsters CBZA and mums Ibiza CBZB. Since then I always keep a set at home (really should be in the car, heh.)