How come this forum doesn't do meets or events anymore?

Cropzy

As per title.

It seems that the enthusiasm for meets and events has died off. To me this a big part of being in a car community. All the previous threads for meets are over a year old. There is nothing new.

What gives?

Would anyone be interested in a mini meet or even just a drive out in Yorkshire at some point?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Car shows etc seemed to have struggled to get going again after covid..before then i would try do at least one classic show a month and a run out upto Buttertubs and other places usually with my RS mates.My work now really doesn't let me do as much so personally I do the little shows near Skipton /Otley for example.

Have never done any forum shows or runs out but have taken my Vrs to places like Harewood .I used to organise a good few runs out with fellow fast Ford mates such as Whitby / Humber Bridge / ,Lake District but after a while it became apparent no none else could be bothered to organise anything so sadly I stopped doing that..

There are plenty of car meets and shows. They are back in full swing now all the time. Hell I have been to the motorist every week as they have like 4 meets a week there. A lot of modern shows now though are Japanese focused.

This forum doesn't do anything which is very frustrating. I can understand why though. Skoda is a niche brand and not many people have them.

I would like us to go to a show and have a club stand if possible as that would be so much fun.

Hell if anyone fancies a drive out or a cruise or something I'd be down for that too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2023 at 11:13, Cropzy said:

There are plenty of car meets and shows. They are back in full swing now all the time. Hell I have been to the motorist every week as they have like 4 meets a week there. A lot of modern shows now though are Japanese focused.

This forum doesn't do anything which is very frustrating. I can understand why though. Skoda is a niche brand and not many people have them.

I would like us to go to a show and have a club stand if possible as that would be so much fun.

Hell if anyone fancies a drive out or a cruise or something I'd be down for that too!

I’m a newbie to the forum just got a 2003 Octavia VRS, same owner from new and I am Loving it, based in Manchester but willing to travel around to meet up with fellow enthusiasts and see other cars 👍🏼 

Just now, Skipper4409 said:

I’m a newbie to the forum just got a 2003 Octavia VRS, same owner from new and I am Loving it, based in Manchester but willing to travel around to meet up with fellow enthusiasts and see other cars 👍🏼 

I found this post as I myself am looking for meets, VAG show in Cumbria is tomorrow which looks a good shout 

Probably a combination of factors, but I suspect the main issue is a lack of people willing to organise events, with the second issue being a lack of people willing to turn up to events.

To address those issues, if people want meet-ups, I'd suggest they organise a day out for themselves that they personally would enjoy, and then publicise it.

A lot of meets seem to, perhaps logically, be arranged to start off meeting in a car park of one sort or another.

Hanging around car parks waiting for people who may or may not turn up isn't much fun IMO. (Mind you, thousands of teenagers in McDonald's car parks can't be wrong! 😄)

But I think it's better to go somewhere you would want to go anyway.

1) Publicise it in advance.

2) Announce when you are there (post a pic or whatever on here).

3) Check the forum regularly to see if anyone else has turned up and posted their presence.

4) If they turn up, great, you can meet up and hang out. If they don't, well, you have yourself a day out somewhere you want to be.

I think it's key to not be discouraged if nobody turns up, so making sure you can enjoy the day even if nobody else shows up is important, IMO.

However, I dare say there are other factors in why interest in meet-ups is low.

• Like 1

I don't just mean meet ups in car parks. I mean stuff like driving up to buttertubs as a club and enjoying the roads up there. Having stands on shows. Having organised track days etc.

I have noticed that there are a lot of older more sensible people on this forum, that comes as part of the parcel with Skoda's.

It's just slightly frustrating that this is an forum/OC and literally no events are done.

On 16/06/2023 at 09:04, Cropzy said:

I don't just mean meet ups in car parks. I mean stuff like driving up to buttertubs as a club and enjoying the roads up there. Having stands on shows. Having organised track days etc.
I have noticed that there are a lot of older more sensible people on this forum, that comes as part of the parcel with Skoda's.
It's just slightly frustrating that this is an forum/OC and literally no events are done.

I don't think we are in disagreement. But I think I already highlighted the key problem.

On 15/06/2023 at 07:30, EnterName said:

Probably a combination of factors, but I suspect the main issue is a lack of people willing to organise events

• Like 1

@Cropzy

There was a meet organised for Mk2 Fabia vRS and any others at Santa Pod for a RWYB when there were a few enthusiastic members and the Mk2 Fabia section was more active.

If that kind of thing is of interest maybe just make a shout out in the section and then start organising and see if others will help and join in.

We had no funding, but members got Skoda UK interested and they attended with cars to show and a display wagon.

People booked rooms them selves, a place for a meal was booked and it came together with those interested making some effort.

People travelled from around the UK for the weekend or the day.

took 8 months from first posted about until the event.

The event was 5 years from the first Mk2 Fabia being registered in the UK and there were a few of those first cars attended.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/333148-fabia-mk2-vrs-meet-santa-pod-16th-may-2015

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/355413-santa-pod-raceway-times-mods-etc

There was a vid on YT of the day with music produced by @Furbytomi think, seems to have been deleted.

5b04f16253a60_Blackpool..SantaPod..BordersScotland095.JPG.1fa5e566b736c83468b282b720ebae94.JPG.3c831d6ab0853b43f40c71b98762a68c.jpeg

17802823756_171dc766bd_o.jpg

17829122685_5816987a5f_o.jpg

1582752799_Blackpool..SantaPod..BordersScotland036.JPG.1313d0d267c03780bfe671e2b11b22ee.JPG.282e2c8302f94a761895fadd356d7752.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-06-22 08.10.25.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

That Santa pod event was in 2015. That's forever ago.

I know about Skoda fest but I couldn't make it and from the pictures I expected more of a turnout.

There was the Skoda day at the motorist, however again I was working.

I have been thinking about organising an event or something anyways. I just haven't got round to it yet.

On 02/05/2023 at 15:57, Cropzy said:

As per title.

It seems that the enthusiasm for meets and events has died off. To me this a big part of being in a car community. All the previous threads for meets are over a year old. There is nothing new.

What gives?

Would anyone be interested in a mini meet or even just a drive out in Yorkshire at some point?

i'm West Yorkshire and love a car meet or show, Anyone off to German VS Jap at the weekend

Edited by dubDEAN

• 1 month later...

Reason for no meets is, too many people ask why there are no meets and moaning that no one organises a meet, whilst doing nothing themselves, and then when someone does organise something half the people who are interested don't turn up.

I used to organise the Malthouse meet years ago but beyond a hardcore few each month it would be anyone's guess how many would turn up, especially frustrating when food had been organised for the expected number. 

Organised European trips in the past as well, but when you start you have a load of interest so start looking for hotels etc for xx bodies and when it comes to booking and paying you end up with X bodies, very frustrating.

Feel free to DIY though.

Edited by expostmanpat
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is also the small matter of cost of living rises. Food, fuel, electrickery and gas, and in some cases the 3-4 holidays a year even these cost more😄 

• Like 1