Tyre Pressure Problems

Markyj

Has anyone had any problems with the tyre pressure monitor on their Kamiq? Mine is a 1.5 Monte Carlo on 18 inch rims, I’ve got the pressure at 36 as per the guide in the fuel flap but every couple of weeks it tells me I’ve lost pressure in one or all the tyres, it warned me the other day and it was only 34.5, it’s very annoying. 

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Does the tyre pressure diagram on the screen have the tyre pressures displayed? If not, your TPMS is the indirect type. Are you reinitiallising by pressing 'set' when you reset the pressures? If you are losing only 1.5 psi, I'm surprised it is registering, as indirect systems often only register when the drop is ~6 psi. Is it the same tyre which is low each time? If so I suggest you check for a slow puncture.

The pressures are not displayed on the screen, it told me all four were low about 6 weeks ago, I checked them and they were all at 32 so I get that, the week later it told me the rear left was low, I got it checked and it had a nail in it, 2 days later it told me the rear right was low so I got that checked, no problems with the tyre, then yesterday it said all four were low, I’ve not checked them yet, I’ll be doing that in a bit, I’m just wondering if there’s an issue with the system. I do reset the pressures on the info system yes.  

@MarkyjAre you resetting the TPMS?  You do not say that you are. 

They are loosing too much air are they not, that is an issue.

They will read different if the weather / ambient temp is a good bit different, 10*oC will be enough.

A warning of 34.5 is good if you set it at 36 PSI and you are checking with the same ambient temp and with the same gauge or filling station Air Compressor that should be checked and maintained and accurate.

Are you checking them cold and rechecking cold and with a good trusted Tyre Pressure Gauge?     

Actually if all 4 dropped pressure/ the circumference changed the warning might not show.

Also the warning can be a brake binding or a bearing going and a wheel getting hot and a tyre expending.   

Edited by toot

The pressures are not displayed on the screen, it told me all four were low about 6 weeks ago, I checked them and they were all at 32 so I get that, the week later it told me the rear left was low, I got it checked and it had a nail in it, 2 days later it told me the rear right was low so I got that checked, no problems with the tyre, then yesterday it said all four were low, I’ve not checked them yet, I’ll be doing that in a bit, I’m just wondering if there’s an issue with the system. I do reset the pressures on the info system yes.  

• Thanks 1

I am resetting the tpms yes, I check the tyres with a digital inflator, it’s just happening far too regularly now, I will ring the dealer tomorrow. 

• Confused 1

The issue is your losing tyre pressure is it not.

Do you reset the TPMS?

EDIT.

Got your latest post.

So are these the factory tyres or did you change them for All Weathers?       Find out why your tyres lose pressure, not why the TPMS tells you they have.

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

When I check them I put air in if need be then I reset the TPMS yes. The issue is that it seems to warn me every week and mostly after I’ve been on a motorway. 

As @toot mentions above, you really need to find out why the tyres are loosing pressure, and not blaming the TPMS as it’s only doing its job.

With respect, the TPMS told me yesterday that all four tyres had lost pressure but I checked them today and they were all fine so the TPMS isn’t doing its job. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having any similar issues. 

• Thanks 1

First warning 6 weeks ago, all four tyres were at 32, then a nail in the left rear, then a earring on the right rear but the pressure was fine then yesterday a warning for all four but again the pressures were all ok. 

Warning*

I'm sorry, I don't undestand how the indirect TPMS can give a warning for all four tyres. It doesn't measure speed but relies on the ABS sensors. The sensord measure the rotation speed of each wheel relative to each other and the speed which is in the system from the reset. If one tyre loses pressure the rolling diameter decreases and the wheel rotates faster. The system picks this up after a short while and indicates that there is an unexpected rotation speed, therefore a loss of pressure. On our Karoq the system actually indicates which tyre, although on other cars we have owned it did not indicate which tyre. If all tyres are losing pressure the rotation speed of all of them will increase, and there may not be a discrepancy between wheels, so probably no alarm. I could understand an alarm of two tyres were depressurising, but if three were, there would be an odd one running at a different speed, and whether the system would recognise the one revolving slower as 'abnormal' and the other three as normal, I just have no idea.

I have no idea where the cars actually obtain their speedo reading from. If it isn't from ABS sensors it is possible that the TPMS system  measures against the initiallised speedo reading.

• Like 1

• cheezemonkhai changed the title to Tyre Pressure Problems

I've had the same problem recently with my 2020 Kamiq SEL, TPMS warning, all tyres highlighted on the display, all tyre pressures the same (sometimes 2.5 bar, occasionally 2.4 bar).

I mentioned it when my car was in for service and I was told it would be looked at but it might take more than one visit to solve the problem, so it's a know problem.  As it happened, the problem seems to have been solved first time.

With m,y 2011 Fabia Estate, I had some false alarms with the TPMS (no vehicle display with that to show which tyre) and they always occurred after going over a bump, e.g. the expansion gap on a motorway bridge.  The suggestion was that this had unbalanced the car and one wheel had come clear of the road, fooling the TOMS into thinking that that tyre had lost pressure.

Doesn't the Kamiq have different pressures front and rear in some scenarios (loaded etc).

Are there three pressures on the sticker (either in fuel cap, or on a door jamb), and are they being set consistent with the usual load (number of passengers and luggage).

However if you are losing a few psi every few weeks (and I mean a genuine loss, not measuring at different temperatures or a different  gauge each time), then suggests tyres are not mounted well on the rims and fully sealed or valves are leaky etc.  

I would be inclined to stop looking for a fault in measuring system and looking at cause of pressures changing.  Do the tyres have different tread depths (if so swap them around, you want tread depth as close as possible on both sides of each axle.

• Like 1

You can put the 4 tyres to different pressures, reset the TPMS. drive a bit until this is logged and then not TPMS warning.

Not that you will want to but you can.

You can fit the spare of a slightly different size and reset the TPMS and then not get a warning, then when the original fixed tyre or a new one is fitted reset again.

There are car and often those with these will say. the ACC is disabled, inhibited, or CC is.  Well fine, you have on a temporary non match tyres by size, compound, pressure etc unless a like for like. 

15 hours ago, toot said:

You can put the 4 tyres to different pressures, reset the TPMS. drive a bit until this is logged and then not TPMS warning.

Not that you will want to but you can.

You can fit the spare of a slightly different size and reset the TPMS and then not get a warning, then when the original fixed tyre or a new one is fitted reset again.

There are car and often those with these will say. the ACC is disabled, inhibited, or CC is.  Well fine, you have on a temporary non match tyres by size, compound, pressure etc unless a like for like. 

I'm not sure I follow you.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Doesn't the Kamiq have different pressures front and rear in some scenarios (loaded etc).

Are there three pressures on the sticker (either in fuel cap, or on a door jamb), and are they being set consistent with the usual load (number of passengers and luggage).

However if you are losing a few psi every few weeks (and I mean a genuine loss, not measuring at different temperatures or a different  gauge each time), then suggests tyres are not mounted well on the rims and fully sealed or valves are leaky etc.  

I would be inclined to stop looking for a fault in measuring system and looking at cause of pressures changing.  Do the tyres have different tread depths (if so swap them around, you want tread depth as close as possible on both sides of each axle.

With a full load of passengers and luggage, pressures are 2.6 front and 3.2 rear.  Otherwise, pressures are 2.5 all round.  Three sets of tyre pressures are listed vertically, but they refer to different wheel sizes (and,. in fact, do not vary with the wheel size).

As I've said, I've had this problem both with a Fabia and the Kamiq and when I raised it with the garage in the case of the latter as it had happened three times in about three months (only twice in 90,000 miles with the Fabia) they did not seem surprised and had obviously dealt with the problem before as they said it might require more than one visit to sort it.