Keep it stock or remap ???

Hi all, another newbie here and just picked up my Octavia Vrs, 2003 same owner yes same owner from new with 70k miles !!! Couple tiny dents on the bonnet but otherwise absolutely mint example, so do I keep it as is or book right in for a remap is the question ? Will remap devalue the car in the future, or is keeping it stock the better option and I will only be doing around 1500k miles a year (weekend use only) 

Hi,

Well thats an interesting question, I have had mine for 17 years, I've not had it re-mapped, however have done minor mods to keep engine efficiency good,

silicone hose kit for turbo (bigger inlet pipe), side vents (in front of wheels) and Audi TT inner wheel arch vent (both for improved intercooler cooling). recent jetex cat-back exhaust,

engine air filter box de-finned internally, oil catch-can, plus regular servicing oil, filters etc. I find its still plenty fast enough. There are a lot more faster cars on the roads now driven by muppets than

when the Vrs first came out. If its a keeper and it has low milage then I personally would stay standard. Though, there will be no visible indication of a re-map, except when you plant the right foot hard.

its really up to you and what you want and how deep your pockets are of course.

But Im old so am biased😃,

Keep it stock, make sure it has latest coil packs, check pipes for leaks usually the Y pipe and S shaped one under the the inlet that go, clean the throttle body and fit rear roll bar, personally I'd also fit 225/45 tyres for a little extra grip, added bonus usually cheaper than 205/50.

Thank you both for the responses, so been out in the car today Manchester to Lancaster ( motorway) then found a long scenic route home and seriously the car is absolutely quality to drive it feels tight  and solid, engine picks up smoothly and doesn’t miss a beat, just had new timing belt kit carried out on the car and they have swapped a hose will find out which one, and I think mind made up going to leave it totally stock, 70k I think is very low mileage for a 2003 so thinking it’s along term keeper car with many miles ahead of fun 👍🏼

• Administrators
On 13/05/2023 at 17:15, Skipper4409 said:

Thank you both for the responses, so been out in the car today Manchester to Lancaster ( motorway) then found a long scenic route home and seriously the car is absolutely quality to drive it feels tight  and solid, engine picks up smoothly and doesn’t miss a beat, just had new timing belt kit carried out on the car and they have swapped a hose will find out which one, and I think mind made up going to leave it totally stock, 70k I think is very low mileage for a 2003 so thinking it’s along term keeper car with many miles ahead of fun 👍🏼

I'm usually one for keeping things stock/oem. But, my god what a difference just a simple remap makes. I have a standard example and I have a remapped version, and the difference is night and day. The vRS really should've left with 200/210BHP.

If you're thinking about it, there are a couple of options that you could do. Badger5 or R-Tech are the places to go for tuning, there are other places which I'm sure some will recommend.

Only one thing to add, if you remap, factor in a clutch replacement as a precaution.

Do NOT get a generic off the shelf remap, always go custom/dyno.

• Like 1

Guys thank for the tips I am

now decided it is a long term keeper of a car so made my mind up I want it mapping 👍🏼 do I set a new thread up for this for recommendations? I am based in Manchester so would like a good place to take the car and have a proper job done on the car 👍🏼

On 13/05/2023 at 08:40, andy68 said:

Keep it stock, make sure it has latest coil packs, check pipes for leaks usually the Y pipe and S shaped one under the the inlet that go, clean the throttle body and fit rear roll bar, personally I'd also fit 225/45 tyres for a little extra grip, added bonus usually cheaper than 205/50.

On 13/05/2023 at 08:40, andy68 said:

Andy68 sorry if I sound a little dumb but will this be picked up at remap stage when I take it regards getting the latest coil packs changed ? As this is a totally standard car the gent bought it 20 years ago and had it serviced main dealer but no mention of coil packs on the service history ? To me it’s a rare car with the one owner and low miles hopefully be a good keeper car as I can not see anything online like this example 

should be ok if no misfires are present, if coils are getting weak, usually shows up after 5k rpm if your getting it live mapped. been a while since I've had my MK1 think at the time latest coils recommended were the ones part  number ending in D or R. Otherwise enjoy life in th MK1 VRS, had mine over 12 years and lots of smiles, and many £££'s on mods.

• Administrators
On 20/05/2023 at 20:09, Skipper4409 said:

Guys thank for the tips I am

now decided it is a long term keeper of a car so made my mind up I want it mapping 👍🏼 do I set a new thread up for this for recommendations? I am based in Manchester so would like a good place to take the car and have a proper job done on the car 👍🏼

Enjoy it, there are plenty of threads on the site to explore.

Here's a couple.
Remapping

Agreed with remapping. A simple remap makes a HUGE difference and won't make any harm. I had done it @308k kms and I've reached 348k recently. HUGE difference in pulling power, you don't have the feeling that "it would go but something holds it back".
Definitely go for a custom one, where all the data is checked.

I'd add one more thing to the list of clutch and coils. Fuel pump. You'll definitely need a new one with bigger flow. The remapper should check the data, and if it goes lean even if it is close to redline, change it also, don't risk not having enough fuel.