Karoq Tyres

Colchristie

On 13/01/2024 at 09:47, 6nations said:

4 Bridgestone Turanza 6 all season being fitted now, tyre centre stated they could see the wear on factory fit due to low rolling resistance eg not right for car, do i take up with skoda uk and face the usual fob off customer service 

I'd be grateful if you could let us know how you get on with the Turanza 6s.

I would like to move to all-seasons tyres but, at the moment, the 2 front tyres are quite new, and the rears will need replacing first. There is a current mantra that says 'put the best rubber on the rears' - would that mean that I could start by putting all-seasons on the rears - or would that be a no no too?

1 hour ago, StEdmund said:

I'd be grateful if you could let us know how you get on with the Turanza 6s.

I would like to move to all-seasons tyres but, at the moment, the 2 front tyres are quite new, and the rears will need replacing first. There is a current mantra that says 'put the best rubber on the rears' - would that mean that I could start by putting all-seasons on the rears - or would that be a no no too?

Generally not recommended to mix all seasons and summer tyres (but lots of cars seem to have pair on one axle and pair of another on other axle).

However there are some practical points:

Firstly although you have missed it (others reading this might be helped), always good idea to swap the tyres front-rear around 12k -14k miles to even out the wear, avoids problem of 2 worn tyres needing replacement at different date

Secondly, the guidance about putting the better tyres on rear doesn't make lot of difference if got at least 4mm of tread on rear, but is bad idea if 3mm or under as back of car can swing out under heavy braking (and don't want to end up in other lane with truck bearing down on you)

Thirdly, when you consider what rubbish some people use, 4 budget tyres from different brands, all with variable lowish tread depths, you are not taking risks they are.

Fourthly you will soon realise that 4 premium tyres with good tread depth (even if 2 are all seasons) is far better than 4 premium tyres with under 3mm tread.  Not as good as 4 of the best same tyres, but well up there.

• Like 1

I've just, today got two new vredestien winters fitted to the rear of my 2wd karoq to match the front tyres which have done not many miles. When I bought the car 6 months ago it came with two Bridgestones in the standard 215/50×18 with about 5mm tread, one Bridgestone on 3mm and a brand new budget unknown on te front. I removed all 4 wheels and fitted the wheels and tyres I had on my previous yeti, which are shod with kormoran summer 235/50×18 which are decent tyres. The standard karoq alloys I fitted the vredestien winters, which were part works from a trusted source, a good mate that had used them one winter doing only 2000 miles.

So about a month ago I fitted the standard wheels with winter front and summers on the rear. I have had this many times in the past without any problems,  although I know its not recommended. Then 3 days ago the snow arrived. I found the car nearly undrivable, good traction at the front but the back slipping and sliding all over the place. So bit the bullet and ordered two identical vredestien winters. Fitted this morning, the side streets around here are all still white, hard packed snow. Huge difference in the car. Still not as sure-footed as my previous yeti, but it was 4wd, this koroq is not.

I will be swapping back to the other wheels in the spring as I prefer the look of them, they are a genuine vag wheel in gloss black. But the moral of my tale is now I say do not mix two different types of tyer on the car. Either 4 summers, 4 winters or 4 all seasons. If changing summers to winters and vice versa it's good to have two sets of wheels, or use all seasons all year long. I now have 2 half worn and one nearly done Bridgestones and one unknown budget only done 50 miles in the shed which I probably will never use. I will probably sell them, someone will take then to get an mot or sell on a car, or use themselves. 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 14:56, StEdmund said:

would that mean that I could start by putting all-seasons on the rears - or would that be a no no too?

Better than below, but just, and with the plan to change the others soon to match up.

5 hours ago, daviemck2006 said:

winter front and summers on the rear

I found the car nearly undrivable,

But not as good as below:-

But the moral of my tale is now I say do not mix two different types of tyres on the car. Either 4 summers, 4 winters or 4 all seasons

I have 4 cars and 32 tyres at the minute.

One with just Summers on, which is not being used this week for some reason. 😉

2 with All Season on all year round. Vredestein Quatrac 5.

1 with All Season on in the winter but they get swapped for summers about when the clocks change.

All cars have a matching full size spare tyre and wheel.

All tyres get rotated twice a year, again about when the clocks change.

I have run full winters but it doesn't get cold enough down here in the south.

The all seasons work very well in the winter.

Thanks. AG Falco

On 13/01/2024 at 09:47, 6nations said:

4 Bridgestone Turanza 6 all season being fitted now, tyre centre stated they could see the wear on factory fit due to low rolling resistance eg not right for car, do i take up with skoda uk and face the usual fob off customer service 

cold weather test of these Bridgestone Turanza 6 all season have shown them to be excellent, oh I do wish (but know the complexity) if when ordering a car you can select - or pay for the tyres you want - not the ones in this case the built to order came with