Another "should I get a new exhaust" post

Morning gents,

Just after some advise from those that have done it already, I've read every exhaust post on here but still wondering if it's worth it.

I've a manual pre-fl 230 VRS, I get a nice little pop when it's up to temp from 1st-2nd, and 2nd-3rd which I love.

But looking at getting a cat back exhaust from scorpion for £750 delivered, and looking to stage 1 remap shortly after.

I's it worth it pre map if I'm not getting the downpipe? Will it give any additional bhp or just sound nicer 🤔

Thanks in advance

@MO230 I guess 'whether it's worth it' is based on what you are trying to achieve.

A ) Do you just want more noise? - Cat-back exhaust would work fine

B ) Do you just want more power? - Turbo-back system + remap

C ) You want both? - Turbo-back system, induction kit, remap

You might get minor gains in BHP with a cat-back, but since 2/3 of the system would still be OEM and 'constrained' - it wouldn't be that noticeable. You'd be better off getting the car on a dyno to understand its current output, then see if it changes if you take the plunge.

I also have the pre-FL 230 (and if you've read all the exhaust posts already, you'll probably have seen what I've done), but my aim was to get both better power, noise, and free-er flowing system early in the car's life to make the remap worthwhile - hence going for option 3.

Thanks for the detailed reply Ads, yeh I've seen yours and Ants and would love to follow suit eventually.

For now I think I'll look at the catback for some noise, and initially a stage 1 remap for a nice little increase, I think it's the funds holding me back, I've just ordered full pads, discs, back splash all round, black badges front and back, bonnet struts, dogbone mount and new tires so a fair chunk of change 🤣 

Hopefully next year I'll get the downpipe and another remap 😅 not sure I can increase bhp much more than the 320 ish with a manual and original clutch.

Yeh I was surprised when first looking at the stage 1 performance gains, just figured any minor gains from a catback might as well be had prior to the rolling road / remap 😁

1 hour ago, MO230 said:

Yeh I was surprised when first looking at the stage 1 performance gains, just figured any minor gains from a catback might as well be had prior to the rolling road / remap 😁

@MO230 Don't waste your money on a different exhaust. It will never sound like a fire breathing V8. Do spend your money on a stage 1 remap, which will provide a very noticeable increase in not only BHP but more importantly useable torque which will transform the car allowing you to overtake single carriageway  traffic very safely. The only issue I found on the VRS  (which is exacerbated  when mapped) is actually putting the power down, particularly from a standing start such as nipping into a gap on a busy roundabout. Once up to 10-+5 mph you can begin to accelerate very rapidly. 

Thanks for the reply, just to confirm, it's getting remapped regardless, was just tempted by an exhaust as well to make it sound a little nicer on the outside 😁 

1 hour ago, Redboy said:

@MO230 Don't waste your money on a different exhaust. It will never sound like a fire breathing V8. Do spend your money on a stage 1 remap, which will provide a very noticeable increase in not only BHP but more importantly useable torque which will transform the car allowing you to overtake single carriageway  traffic very safely. The only issue I found on the VRS  (which is exacerbated  when mapped) is actually putting the power down, particularly from a standing start such as nipping into a gap on a busy roundabout. Once up to 10-+5 mph you can begin to accelerate very rapidly. 

Seconded. This is what I was going to say.

Wisdom 😄

All the money in the world would not have brought me any when I was doing similar things to my cars when young!

😂 not sure I'll get much of that for £750. But long gone are the days of spending many many thousands on a 14 year old French hot hatch 

21 hours ago, MO230 said:

😂 not sure I'll get much of that for £750. But long gone are the days of spending many many thousands on a 14 year old French hot hatch 

Put it towards a possible slight raise in insurance premium. Another set of tyres? Mine had the original spark plugs and air filter, returned good mpg. Carbon under the bonnet looks ok, doesn't seem to make a lot of difference at stage 1. 

28 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Put it towards a possible slight raise in insurance premium. Another set of tyres? Mine had the original spark plugs and air filter, returned good mpg. Carbon under the bonnet looks ok, doesn't seem to make a lot of difference at stage 1. 

Insurance is a good shout, tires are pretty much brand new and not long been serviced sparks and all. Who are people insured with? Most company's don't seem to like remaps that are over 15% increase, and still but have a call back from flux. 

Not*

• 4 months later...

Hey Fuzzarr, 

Decided to go a slightly different route, I'm awaiting delivery of a scorpion down pipe with sports cat and keeping the standard 230 "sports exhaust" for now.

Also fitting an airtec intercooler, uprated coils, spark plugs, RARB, Turbo Technics elbow, braided brake lines, Eibach pro kit, new B4 Shocks, top mounts, drop links all round and going straight to stage 2 😅😂

And probably go to stage 4 (stage 3 depending on the tuning shop) with a hybrid IS38 in the next year.

I've upgraded the clutch with an RTS 5 paddle one, new Flywheel and heavy duty slave cylinder thats good for over be 700Nm, I've done 1800 miles on it so very much bedded in and feels pretty close to the original clutch in terms of feel.

28 minutes ago, MO230 said:

Hey Fuzzarr, 

Decided to go a slightly different route, I'm awaiting delivery of a scorpion down pipe with sports cat and keeping the standard 230 "sports exhaust" for now.

Also fitting an airtec intercooler, uprated coils, spark plugs, RARB, Turbo Technics elbow, braided brake lines, Eibach pro kit, new B4 Shocks, top mounts, drop links all round and going straight to stage 2 😅😂

And probably go to stage 4 (stage 3 depending on the tuning shop) with a hybrid IS38 in the next year.

I've upgraded the clutch with an RTS 5 paddle one, new Flywheel and heavy duty slave cylinder thats good for over be 700Nm, I've done 1800 miles on it so very much bedded in and feels pretty close to the original clutch in terms of feel.

No half measures! That's going to be a weapon

16 hours ago, MO230 said:

Hey Fuzzarr, 

Definitely a weapon - if you're doing all of this (and you might have not noted it here), I'd highly recommend sorting out the lower engine mount with a billet steel or high-rated poly dogbone version to eliminate the horrible axle tramp you get with increasing power. Transformed the drive & gear changes on my 230 immediately.

First mod I did 😁 I think after reading your input on one thread or another. Went with the APR steel one, zero vibrations too so happy days

also got a short shift kit on the list ☺️

Edited by MO230
  • Love it! 1