Are there any reasonably sized PHEV Skodas?

Hounslow

I feel inclined to replace my 10 year old Mk. II Fabia VRS Combi and would like to go for a Plug-in Hybrid car of a similar sort of size / carrying ability but I can't seem to find such a car.  In point of fact, most PHEVs seem to be pretty large.  Audi appear to have options?

I do not want a Tesla, Polestar, etc. because I have to drive down to Devon from time to time to visit relatives and I don't want to be stressing about not being able to find somewhere to charge a full EV; nor do I want some sort of SUV (tank).  Much of my driving is in the London area and I do have off-road parking.

• Confused 1

Welcome.

Tesla & Polestar are not PHEV,s they are BEV's.

There are Hyundia, Kia, Ford, Renault, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen / DS, and many other PHEV's on sale. 

Similar or bigger than a Fabia. 

These are big. but smaller are Niro, Kona, Capture, Puma, Mokka, 3008, C4, Octavia. 

Edited by toot

Any PHEVs in particular from the various Manufacturers you have mentioned that are of a "Similar size" to a Fabia Combi?

Do you have personal experience of such a car?

Do you mean a Fabia Estate?   Since you are in the UK.

Do you really want to buy a car that is really about Business users and the benefits to them with HMRC, or do you have cheap or free or a good home tariff for charging for local use?

I am looking at PHEV's and have driven a few in the past month and before to replace my Corsa Electric, but i can charge them for free.

As to for longer trips then what is wrong with your Fabia or a newer one?

A MG5 / Estate EV Long Range will take you 200 plus miles easily enough and really charging down south can not be that horrific if you just pay the price of public charging at hubs. 

Edited by toot

Mk. II Fabia VRS Combi is 10 years old; I want to replace it.

The country as a whole and London in particular is falling out of love with petrol engined cars.

PHEVs seem to be a sensible route to go.

If it is the boot size you need best check out the ones on offer.

I had a Renault Capture PHEV out last week, no boot space.

The Dacia Jogger is not available as a  PHEV but is a Hybrid and will be quite good on fuel. 

7 Seater or plenty space.  

A Fabia Combi is a niche market as it is never mind introducing PHEV to the equation.  Given it;s size, your Fabia has masses of space inside but unfortunately a PHEV needs space for the battery. If you don't want an SUV then I struggle to think of a direct replacement.

So you probably have a decision to make - do you replace the combi with a similar length car and accept there will be less space inside or go for a bigger car that has similar internal space. Hope that make sense?

What about something like a Kia Xceed?  Or rather than PHEV, consider an efficient Hybrid like Toyota Corolla if you want to retain the estate format?

Although it's in the SUV type sector, I agree with Toot's the comment re: the Renault Captur.  In ICE format the space on offer is pretty decent but the Hybrid I test drove was abysmal for our needs.  We don't need rear passenger space so the best thing for us turned out to be a Yaris Cross which I have on order. Yes it's another SUV type vehicle but it's small and offers a really well shaped boot given it's length. Again it's not a PHEV but has an efficent Hybrid engine. Not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but like you, I was struggling to find something suitable for our needs. 

• Like 1

Thanks Kodiaq, all very fair comments and they make complete sense.

I take your point about PHEVs having compromised boot space due to the battery; boot space is important to me.

A friend has a Toyota Yaris Hybrid that she loves - and which seems to offer very good MPG figures.

Living in London, large cars are an absolute blight but I do accept that in the end, I may have simply to stick with what I have got for the present.

• Administrators

We took a real shine to the Kia Niro. Available as ice, self charging, or phev, or even full ev.

we got quite a long way before finding out the phev version has a much smaller boot.

All the others are fine, similar boot size, bigger. Phev is in the region of 348l, 451 for self charge and a bit more for the ev.

plenty of good used ones and the facelift isn’t mechanical in principal. 

im still tempted as hunting for a fabia like estate and we’ll all of the above typed out makes me think I should just do it. Seven year warranty too ;)

• Administrators

The other discovery is Suzuki. Sister cars to Toyota and cheaper. Look at a swace, it’s nearly identical to a Corolla. Same factory identical!

yes a tad bigger then the fabia. Guessing the swift sport is a bit too small?

On 15/05/2023 at 14:07, toot said:

EDIT. I did not know there was a Leon Estate PHEV.

There is an Astra Estate PHEV as well.

SEAT Leon Estate e-HYBRID (PHEV) _ Pembrokeshire _ Gareth Hughes Motors SEAT.mhtml 2.27 MB · 1 download

I thought the Leon PHEVs would have the same availability problems which caused the Octavia IV to be withdrawn?

I imagine there is (or if not yet, soon will be) a Peugeot 308 PHEV Estate to go with the Astra Estate as I think these days they are based on the same platform?

• 2 weeks later...

There are currently no PHEVs in Skoda UK range

Both Octavia and Superb PHEVs are no longer on sale, but might be some old stock somewhere or secondhand ones.