DSG & autohold/handbrake

tgo

The 1.0 used to be available with DSG, but not now for almost 4 years, which is a shame.  I was told I bought the last one to be imported into UK, and had it registered at the end of July 2019.  I was going to hang on to my previous 1.2 DSG Yeti for another 2 years, but then began to hear rumours about the 1.0 DSG Karoq being discontinued and I'd already decided I wanted that engine & gearbox.  There were quite a few SE DSG ex dealer demonstrators around at the time at very reasonable prices, but I wanted the as much of the latest technology as I could get, while sticking with the 1.0.  I would have ordered all sorts of extra goodies but I'd missed the boat by then and could only get a standard SE Tech, but I didn't have to wait long.  In those days you could beat down the new price of ordinary SEs, but not SE Techs, which were strangely advertised at the same price as the ordinary model and did come with some very useful extra goodies like adaptive cruise control, sat nav (not working at present for some reason or other) and front parking sensors + I had a rear camera and mud flaps fitted by the dealer.  The only finish they had was the most expensive red metallic, so I forked out and it does look good.  Although I've posted about some niggles here before, I do very much like the car - very quiet now with AW tyres on 16" wheels and extra sound damping at the rear and it performs surprisingly well and with good economy.

I meant to say that there were costlier more upmarket 1.0 DSG SELs available at the time too and I tried one that had 18" wheels so the ride was not quite as good as the SE on 17" wheels + you couldn't get adaptive cruise control, but instead got some sort of leather seats which I didn't want, but it did have the removeable rear seats.  I did want these at the time, but now rather glad I've got the fixed rear seats instead as this arrangement with the solid parcel shelf suffers from less road noise even before sound damping is added at the rear.

• 1 month later...
On 17/05/2023 at 17:20, tgo said:

I'm shortly  going to get a new DSG car (always only owned manuals until now)

I understand at things like traffic lights you are just meant to press your foot on the brake once you've stopped which engages autohold at which point you can remove your foot and it will only move once you hit the throttle again.

Which sounds great vs on a manual, going into neutral, engaging handbrake.

Except...

I don't want to be one of 'those' who sits at stops with all 3 brake lights on like a noob. (also contravenes part of the highway code) dazzling everyone.

So I guess I either go to Neutral and engage handbrake (unclear if it will auto engage or if I need to put it on)

Or what would happen if I leave it in drive, engage autohold, and then put the handbrake on.

Would it stall the car, like on a manual if you left it in gear and put the handbrake on and released the clutch?

Would it disengage autohold, and switch to handbrake, but turn off the brake lights?

Brakelights dont stay on with autohold.

• Confused 1

Just checked on road, I see the brakelights on (I clearly see them reflecting on the bus behind me) with autohold (foot not on pedal).

6 hours ago, irfant said:

Just checked on road, I see the brakelights on (I clearly see them reflecting on the bus behind me) with autohold (foot not on pedal).

Indeed, that's how they work.    It's Blindingly Obvious (that's a wee joke btw)

And why some of us flick the parking brake switch when we stop in traffic and a vehicle pulls up behind.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Powerred said:

Brakelights dont stay on with autohold.

They do stay on. Could see them various times mirroring in the following car's wind screen...

• Like 1

I now do that, flip to the starting brake once someone's behind me - no effort to do and helps keep me alert while driving.

I also have now started to release that parking brake, just before moving off, letting the car creep forward before foot goes on accelerator.  That's if I've time to anticipate this at traffic lights - i.e. not first in the queue.  Requires a foot on the brake pedal but leads to a really smooth jerk free take off.

On 04/07/2023 at 07:19, croquemonsieur said:

I now do that, flip to the starting brake once someone's behind me - no effort to do and helps keep me alert while driving.

I also have now started to release that parking brake, just before moving off, letting the car creep forward before foot goes on accelerator.  That's if I've time to anticipate this at traffic lights - i.e. not first in the queue.  Requires a foot on the brake pedal but leads to a really smooth jerk free take off.

Easy to move off jerk-free simply by “tickling” the throttle pedal. Saves faffing with parking brake release.

On the other hand, go for Sport mode then pedal to metal for a brisk departure. My favoured mode on one particular steep cross road near me.

• Like 1

With a FWD 1.0 TSI DSG on factory tyres that is almost certain to have the wheels spinning, the TC light flashing and even power being cut and resulting in lots of action but not a quick get away.

Just as well to just have the engine fired up and off you go when clear and there is space.

"Easy to move off jerk-free simply by “tickling” the throttle pedal. Saves faffing with parking brake release."

It's the tickling of the throttle pedal I find annoying - throttle far too sensitive, but maybe that's because I'm flat footed in my right foot and some arthritis in my big toe there (both only recently diagnosed) that gives me twinges in that foot - thank heavens for DSG & ACC.

Got to say I can't always be bothered with that E Brake proceedure that I said I'd started doing.  If not, I tend just use stop/start (blow the car behind) and either try to be careful with my right foot or just put up with a somewhat jerky start.  It is possible to a smooth start using stop/start, just requires some concentration, at least in my case.

I find Sports mode makes even the 1.0 DSG a surprisingly responsive car, but haven't used it much from standstill starts so far.