2017 USB data port not working.

Hi all, my daughter has a 2017 Rapid Spacesaver which has developed a problem with the front USB data port. It was working fine since she bought it (secondhand) but recently it will no longer connect to her phone which she used mainly for AndroidAuto maps. I have tried a couple of data cables, tried three phones and did a factory reset without success. I think my next step is to change the USB port but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it. I did a google search but could find nothing. I'm hoping that someone on the forum might be able to point me in the right direction.  I was also wondering if I do manage to remove it can it be changed for one of the working charging ports in the rear or are they different?.

TIA

Peter

USB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the part number for this is 5JC035726. If you search for this on eBay you'll find a few items for sale with pictures - you might get an idea of how the part is secured. It looks to me like there are a couple of plastic lugs, one at either side (hidden of course, in true VW fashion). 

I'm about to try and remove the same part on my car (Toledo), so please report back with your findings! 

HTH

Martin 

Thanks for the information Martin. I did a Google search and found several secondhand ones so I took a chance and ordered one. I'll post a reply on just how the process goes as soon as it arrives.

Peter

Hi Martin,

The part has just arrived from a breakers in Lithuania (RRL.LT) and while I have yet to fit it it looks as though all that is required to remove it is a plastic panel tool at the front. In fairness I did try this but it did not move, perhaps I was not forceful enough. 

20230603_115909.thumb.jpg.9cbdb548179fbc3de10b95fbe9bae15b.jpg20230603_115919.thumb.jpg.be0f8fa5d7d29a6bc92c349b443b6278.jpg

in the early years of the Rapid that MDI (interface) was notoriously flaky, and very cable quality dependent, as to whether your phone or iPod would talk to the HU.

In other cars too (Renault Group) I have found that cheap cables scupper the Android Auto connection.

The one in my daughters car was original equipment and worked fine for about a year before giving up the ghost. Unfortunately the second hand replacement which I bought (pic above) is different. The one in her car is 5Q0-03507260M and is proving difficult to find. There are several ending with the prefixes and E and  J

but I'm not sure if they are suitable?. Hers also has a yellow sticker with 03S while this replacement has 04S. 

The only good news is that prising down the shelf at the two points in the front allowed easy access to the unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. The second hand part was from an earlier model so I returned it and bought one new from a dealer. This worked for all of 24 hours before it went the same way as the original, only charging and not connecting to Android. I now suspect that the control unit may be the problem but I have no idea where to look for this or even if it is accessible without stripping the dash out 😟

• 5 weeks later...
On 13/06/2023 at 17:22, Pecon said:

Just a quick update. The second hand part was from an earlier model so I returned it and bought one new from a dealer. This worked for all of 24 hours before it went the same way as the original, only charging and not connecting to Android. I now suspect that the control unit may be the problem but I have no idea where to look for this or even if it is accessible without stripping the dash out 😟

On my 2015 rapid this was just an adapter to MDI, which was then plugged into a telephone module strapped to the dashbar on the passenger side. Can maybe get to it with the radio out but I doubt it.

You've tried other USB cables yeah?

Edited by adamyt

Hi adamt, yes, I tried several cables, different phones and now the port itself all to no avail. Forgive my ignorance but what is the MDI which you mention?. I'll have another look and see if I can remove the radio and perhaps I will be able to trace the wiring. 

MDI is just a connector used by VW years ago, I guess before everyone used USB

The control box is that box on the left, the rectangle with foam in it is the center air vents for reference

May not be the same since yours is 2017 PQ26/MQB-A0, more like a Fabia mk3's electrical system

image.png.3e9e986adb0af9d66f58e1f978d4de0c.png

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'd like to get in on this topic as I facing the same issue on my 2020 Superb. The connection with Android Auto worked well until it randomly decided to give the ghost one day (charging still works).

During a regular inspection I had a mechanic take a look at it and his first thought was that there was something in the USB port in the center console, specifically a liquid (this was during covid so kept desinfectant around all the time).

However, I found no leakage anywhere else in the console and if the USB's were truly disabled I would probably not be able to charge my phone through it, which I am still able to do.

At first I figured it might be a setting of the usb cable (charging only and no data transfer), however after having double checked my settings, tried several phones (both Android and Apple) and several cables, I realised that that is not it and that it's probably a software issue.

At the moment I've got two possibilities. Either replacing the USB's (there are a total of 3 and none of them provide a connection with Android Auto) but since it's a firm car, I am hesitant to do so.

Another option that I am considering is to buy an AAwireless dongle. Since this dongle only relies on an bluetooth connection and a powersource (which it would get from the USB port) and eliminates the cable connection between phone and car, I figured this might be a feasible option, however these dongles don't come cheap and it's an expensive option to just test a theory (I know I could always sell them afterwards but it's about the hassle).

Would there be anyone that has experience with this? 

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

I havea. 2017 Skoda Yeti. The USB just stopped working last week and is greyed out on the display. So is the Memory card option.

It still charges so the power is good.

Is this a software problem common to Skodas. I see lots of similar problems on the net. No rreally good fixes it seems.

I'm assuming it's dead now. I won't be able to use my audio CD player any more?

If anyone knows of a fix I"d love to hear about it.