New discs and pads

27000 miles and the original Skoda discs looked ginger, not wanting to have the OEM discs fitted again I opted for Pagid discs and pads fitted by Volksmaster in Oldham. Great service and  good value £600 discs and pads all round. 340mm front 310 rear

IMG_3326.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That’s a great price, D M Keith have advised that my Kodiaq will need new discs and pads soon at nearly £1,000! Think I need to shop around.

My fronts were down to the sensors a month or so ago and rear discs were badly scored after 34k miles

Skoda Warrington quoted over a grand for disc and pads all round

My local National did the front pads (discs had minimal wear), rear discs and pads for £450

On 19/05/2023 at 16:40, Manc-Fletch said:

27000 miles and the original Skoda discs looked ginger, not wanting to have the OEM discs fitted again I opted for Pagid discs and pads fitted by Volksmaster in Oldham. Great service and  good value £600 discs and pads all round. 340mm front 310 rear

IMG_3326.jpeg

@Manc-FletchWhat are Pagid discs? They a better brand than the ones Skoda would fit (not that I'd pay their higher fees).

Funny, but just noticed today that when I brake, whether it be gentle or hard, I'm begining to feel a slight vibration thru the pedal, as if the brakes are pulsing. It's sort of like the ABS kicking in but without the noise and drama. Never felt anything like this before from the car and never had an issue on any VW group product before. Just wondering if the discs are beginning to warp?  I drive like an old man ( because I am ) - I'm very gentle on the brakes. Could be caused by lack of use if anything ( but don't drive the car differently to any other I've owned ) but still, the discs should be better quality than that. 

Not long to it's 3rd birthday and we're not even at 12k miles. 🤪

19 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Funny, but just noticed today that when I brake, whether it be gentle or hard, I'm begining to feel a slight vibration thru the pedal, as if the brakes are pulsing. It's sort of like the ABS kicking in but without the noise and drama. Never felt anything like this before from the car and never had an issue on any VW group product before. Just wondering if the discs are beginning to warp?  I drive like an old man ( because I am ) - I'm very gentle on the brakes. Could be caused by lack of use if anything ( but don't drive the car differently to any other I've owned ) but still, the discs should be better quality than that. 

Not long to it's 3rd birthday and we're not even at 12k miles. 🤪

Yes, that's possible.  My wife's car did this.  The most likely explanation, is that there's a bit of pad material deposited on one or both discs.  This can happen when the discs get very hot and you come to a stop and leave your foot on the pedal (or hill-hold on).  Each time that bit of disc passes between the pads, it "grabs" very slightly giving the illusion of a "warped" disc.

The remedy, (I'm told) is to do a few very hard stops, to get the discs stinking hot, (which re-distributes the pad material more evenly round the disc) and then drive around for about 5 minutes (ideally without braking) to allow the discs to cool back down. (Or brake gently to a halt WITHOUT hill-hold on and without leaving your foot on the brakes as the car stops - i.e. coast the last few feet).  I never tried it though, because my wife's car's discs needed changing anyway.

• Like 1

This does work. Well, it has for me anyway.

I’ve used it successfully with three very different cars, and do a kind of ‘brake tune-up lite’ version every couple of weeks.

The brakes always feel keener afterwards. 

It isn’t an illusory thing like buying petrol from Sainsbury rather than Morrisons and convincing yourself that the car goes like a scalded cat and pulls like a John Deere after you’ve filled it up.

It really does make a difference.

For what it’s worth, I think if you constantly brake as if you’re carrying a chandelier in the back you never really give the discs (or pads) the kind of workout they’re designed to cope with and risk a slow but inexorable build-up of corrosion as a consequence.

I’m not entirely sure that trying to eke them out for as long as possible by driving like Tinker Bell is that good an idea.

Edited by Phutters