CarPlay questions

Hi there,

New user on Iphone 14 Pro...

There are 2 items that annoy mme in terms of using CarPlay on MK4:

1. when enabling Carplay and a route in Waze, the route guidance is not being updated in the Virtual Cockpit at all. It keeps saying that "Route guidance is not available" (or something like it) and it doesn't seem to work at all - do all Iphone users face the same situation? I have had similar situation in Android Auto, but occasionally.

2. waze indications (voice ones) are being incomplete - most of them are missing: Each navigation voice indication sounds like:  "in the next 200 m... <silence> and then <silence>".

Are there any items that I am missing to configure on Carplay or infotainment system?

I switched from Android to IOS for work reasons but also because I was getting more and more frustrated by the sluggishness of Android Auto (overall slow, with a lot of "Android Auto is not responding" errors, Maps/Waze being unable to open after the last updates, slow switch between songs, failure to connect with phone, etc).

Had 3 phones with Android Auto and all of them were slow (S7, P30 Pro, S21 Ultra), a thing that doesn't happen with CarPlay.

Infotainment is at 1896.

Thanks for your inputs in advance. :)

You're not alone. I use an iPhone 14 Pro (and previously iPhone XR) with CarPlay in the Octavia Mk4 - and have experienced random issues with both Waze and Google Maps with both phones over three versions of iOS, to the point I now rarely use either. In the last instance earlier this week, Google Maps wouldn't display anything other than a blank screen. Other times using Google Maps or Waze causes Spotify to mute.

As a result I use Apple Maps or the built in SatNav both of which give directions on the virtual cockpit as well as the Infotainment screen and full voice guidance. Apple Maps has the added benefit of the haptic feedback via my Apple Watch too, which means I can reduce the volume of the voice instructions but not miss any.

On 21/05/2023 at 10:11, Jugaroo said:

Hi there,

New user on Iphone 14 Pro...

There are 2 items that annoy mme in terms of using CarPlay on MK4:

1. when enabling Carplay and a route in Waze, the route guidance is not being updated in the Virtual Cockpit at all. It keeps saying that "Route guidance is not available" (or something like it) and it doesn't seem to work at all - do all Iphone users face the same situation? I have had similar situation in Android Auto, but occasionally.

2. waze indications (voice ones) are being incomplete - most of them are missing: Each navigation voice indication sounds like:  "in the next 200 m... <silence> and then <silence>".

Are there any items that I am missing to configure on Carplay or infotainment system?

I switched from Android to IOS for work reasons but also because I was getting more and more frustrated by the sluggishness of Android Auto (overall slow, with a lot of "Android Auto is not responding" errors, Maps/Waze being unable to open after the last updates, slow switch between songs, failure to connect with phone, etc).

Had 3 phones with Android Auto and all of them were slow (S7, P30 Pro, S21 Ultra), a thing that doesn't happen with CarPlay.

Infotainment is at 1896.

Thanks for your inputs in advance. :)

Hello,

Route guidance in the Virtual Cockpit only works with Android Auto (both Waze and GMaps) - however you will only get the guidance/next move/turn + the destination pin (on the map) displayed over the VC.
The entire route  can only be seen on the infotainment screen, in Waze or Gmaps.

If using Apple Carplay - there is no guidance via the VC - so visually you have to rely entirely on the infotainment screen.
And yes, the voice navigation is broken if using Waze - it doesn't matter what Iphone you are using - I have IP11 and 12 connected with the latest OS firmware, but still experience the "....and then" preceded and followed by silence. Of course I usually miss to turn, because the voice kicks in after the action is supposed to be taken by the driver :) 
Google Maps over Carplay is hit and miss - sometimes I get the voice navigation, but only if before connecting to the car, i choose the route on the phone.

I also happened that while switching from Waze to Google Maps - without cancelling the route guidance in Waze - I got complete silence in Google Maps. 
Go figure.... Every day, another annoyance. 
IDK if this is the phone OS to blame or Skoda's sloppy integration.

1 hour ago, OftiK said:

If using Apple Carplay - there is no guidance via the VC - so visually you have to rely entirely on the infotainment screen.

I’m guessing this is with Gmaps and Waze cos there IS guidance in the VC with CarPlay with Apple Maps; fairly basic, just the next turn similar to that you describe for AA and the built in satnav.

1 hour ago, OftiK said:

IDK if this is the phone OS to blame or Skoda's sloppy integration.

I tried to work that out too; the cynic in me puts it down to Google & Apple not playing nicely together.

I get navigation on the VC with my iPhone (13 pro max) using Apple Maps. I’m guessing maybe the integration for Google maps and Waze on CarPlay isn’t there for the VC. If you want to use Apple Maps is a different story… but the directions do show on the Virtual Cockpit and the Heads-up display. 

hope this helps! 

• Like 2

Thanks for your inputs.

I managed to make the waze to provide the voice guidance eventually. But I am not completely sure that this is the resolution.

The steps I performed were to uninstall the waze from iphone, then reinstall it. After that, I installed a completely different voice guide in English. And only after that I got back to Romanian directions. From that point, it worked without other issues. In English it worked without any hassle.

The directions on VC are not appearing at all, but I never tried apple maps. Going to try that just to confirm if it is related to Carplay or not.

• Like 1

Coming back on this one: yep apple maps guidance does show up on VC.

So it looks like Google and CarPlay don’t go too well together for the VC.

Guess I will have to live without that thing, especially given the fact that I managed to fix the “bug” with the voice navigation and guidance.