On the last it's probably true. It isn't that much different to the mib2 high. You might at this stage coming off contract have to wait a bit till your maps are "old". The offline ones get a published update in June and  November unless @MartiniB finds them ahead. Generally does.

Dependent of what country you are in  mib3 connected services are sold differently on how they are unbundled.

Hi,

I came from a Superb MK2 not a MIB2. So the whole MIB is new to me, but reading across forums MIB3 feels more like a downgrade from previous MIB versions. Certainly the Sat Nav feels pants compared to my very old RNS510 / Columbus and I think Skoda has reduced functionality from the MIB2.5. Admittedly the display is nicer and bigger than the RNS510 / Columbus.

Can an SD card reader like the one on the MIB2 be retro fitted to a MIB3? I am only asking because the head unit displayed USB1 and USB2 as input options in the media button next to BT. I have a blanked off slot in the glove box.

Posted (edited)

I have seen people mount a card sharing thing with SD in front of the USB slots with a WiFi 5ghz adaptor. A Heath Robinson affair. Technically it proves a USB extender can be added which also has an SD reader in it although you can buy USB 3 to SD adaptors if you really want SDs to put music files on rather than SD. I have a USB-A to SD on my new laptop that didn't have an SD reader built in. I'm sure there will be the same for USB-C but bumping about in the car, reckon best to use USB-C sticks. Reversible ones (USB-A / USB-C) are recommended for offline map updates if you don't have USB-C on your PC. Adapters may not have all the pins connected. Where some people fail on mib3 firmware / map updates via a stick. Apparently retrofitters that sell firmware for mib3 find this quite common with their clients who cant get the firmware installed, whilst others say no it's not an issue with the right adapter. Not for them it wasn't. Something to look out for. The make do mentality ("engineering approach") verses rather than getting something for the job.

In the glove box behind the blanking plate is the actually mib3 units. It's how they are presented now. You have to be carefull with what you do in RHD cars just there. The glove box often drops further once fitments are moved on the gliders to reveal the fuse box and pollen filter so the glove box is also a hidden maintenence area. Putting things in there may hinder service.

Edited by Tell

Hub was the word I was looking for. They had mounted it as a hub in that affair. So the unit supports hubs via USB.