Ceramic Coating. Is it worth it?

Hi, everyone! I was trying to figure it out if it is worth having a ceramic coating applied on a new Octavia. Did you guys go for this and is it worth it? Also, what kind of ceramic coating did you use? I have found some popular ones like GTechniq Crystal Serum Light + GTechniq exo v4 or SystemX Max (some claimed permanent ceramic from USA). Has anyone tried one of these and were you satisfied with it? Thanks a lot! 

Hi,

In terms of paint protection from the nature elements and easiness of cleaning the car, I would totally recommend it. But if you think to protect the car with ceramic coating against stones, the only protection against stones is PPF (paint protection film).

I wrapped the front end of mine in PPF and add a ceramic coating on the rest. And the paint is doing pretty good after 2 and a half years, 51k km and 3 winters. Roads in winter here in Slovenia are like gravel roads. They use soo much sand. It's crazy. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Hi,

In terms of paint protection from the nature elements and easiness of cleaning the car, I would totally recommend it. But if you think to protect the car with ceramic coating against stones, the only protection against stones is PPF (paint protection film).

I wrapped the front end of mine in PPF and add a ceramic coating on the rest. And the paint is doing pretty good after 2 and a half years, 51k km and 3 winters. Roads in winter here in Slovenia are like gravel roads. They use soo much sand. It's crazy. 

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately it’s the same for Romanian roads during winter I’m afraid..   

• Like 1

Yes ceramic coating is 100% worth it for ease of cleaning the car. Dirt, bugs spatter all comes off much easier. Check with your detailer on the best product for your driving circumstances (mileage etc.) as not all coatings are equal; some last for 2 years other can be longer. Mines got GTechniq (not sure which one though; it’s warranted for 5years). It looks amazing after every wash. 

For protection against chips though PPF is needed. I’ve had some 🤬 try rub a coin into my bonnet and the PPF was swirled up and damaged, applied hot water and it healed up nicely and the paint underneath is fine. So again highly recommend it. 

• Love it! 1

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yes ceramic coating is 100% worth it for ease of cleaning the car. Dirt, bugs spatter all comes off much easier. Check with your detailer on the best product for your driving circumstances (mileage etc.) as not all coatings are equal; some last for 2 years other can be longer. Mines got GTechniq (not sure which one though; it’s warranted for 5years). It looks amazing after every wash. 

For protection against chips though PPF is needed. I’ve had some 🤬 try rub a coin into my bonnet and the PPF was swirled up and damaged, applied hot water and it healed up nicely and the paint underneath is fine. So again highly recommend it. 

Nice! Thanks a lot for your feedback! Sounds good! Does the ceramic coating make the pain look much more brighter / shinier or is it comparable with the original way the paint looks? Thanks! Because I wasn’t necessarily looking forward to getting it shinier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ctflr said:

Nice! Thanks a lot for your feedback! Sounds good! Does the ceramic coating make the pain look much more brighter / shinier or is it comparable with the original way the paint looks? Thanks! Because I wasn’t necessarily looking forward to getting it shinier. 

All down to the paint prep and polish prior to the coating being applied to bring the paint to its best appearance then the coating seals all that goodness in, expect a really nice and deep gloss finish and then exceptional beading characteristics. 

• Like 1

Ya, mine are coated with CarPro CQuartz and topped with CarPro Gliss. The plastics, wheels etc were CarPro DLux and Gtechniq G1/G2 on the glass.

I did it myself as I am fortunate to have a garage to prep, apply and had access to another car when I was waiting for them to cure.

I prepped myself with a contamination wash, Merzerna polishes and pads. The supplying dealer (with their agreement) didn't touch the paint (so I wasn't trying to remove whatever they put on)

• Like 1