Kamiq Wheel Alignment

Fergo1

Does anyone know if Castor angles are adjustable on the Kamiq? 

I knocked a curb doing around 20mph while trying to avoid a massive pot hole at around 1500 miles. Last week decided to have the alignment checked (c3500 miles) as since the knock the steering wheel was slightly off centre and noticed outer edge of NS front tyre starting to wear more on outer edge. 

They adjusted front toe which has corrected the steering wheel but no change to the castor, still red on attached print out. I should of asked about it but didn't. 

Seems unlikely there is any damage (but cannot rule it out) if both sides are out of spec. 

Now the steering actually feels worse than ever. Before I knocked the curb I was surprised how tight and accurate the Kamiq steering felt. Now it feels loose and baggy if that makes sense due, I understand, maybe to too much negative castor.

Tyre pressures all correct at 36 all round. 

2023-06-17_091112-1.pdf

With the symmetry of the caster numbers, and the reported one-sided impact, it seems most likely to me that their 'normal range' caster figures are simply not correct for your car.  Unfortunately, I don't have reference material to look confirm or reject this idea.

The loose/baggy steering feel seems more likely due to a damaged suspension bush, or bent component, than a caster problem. 

• Like 1

I doubt it.

Ask your friendly local Skoda dealer if they can look up the specification for your car's caster angle. Don't expect much co-operation, but you just never know..

• Like 1

You could probably find the relevant document yourself on erWin Skoda, but it would cost you some money to gain access for an hour.

There are a selection of the official workshop information pdfs in the guides section, but not the relevant one, I think which would be called something like 'Kamiq - Chassis' and have a table something like this (example of table for mk1 Fabia NOT the correct info for your car):

Screenshot 2023-06-19 10.51.48.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Even though this is for a Fabia I guess you are right that Caster angle is non adjustable. Will either have to live with it for the next 2.5 year lease or get it looked at. Skoda would charge an arm and a leg if they find a bent component or worse. 

Strange as it drove ok with toe slightly out and steering wheel slightly off! Caster doesn't affect tyre wear. 

I very much doubt the caster changed at any point during this 'knock of a kerb'. Far more likely that your alignment operator didn't use the right model data, or that the Skoda data itself is incorrect versus reality.

The angular difference between how yours is and the spec range is tiny, around a quarter of one degree of angle outside spec. In my head there's no way that could transform the steering feel. And unless your kerb impact was frontal/symmetrical/both front wheels at once, no way it could affect both sides.

55 minutes ago, Fergo1 said:

Skoda would charge an arm and a leg if they find a bent component or worse

Doesn't need to be Skoda, any garage can look for such things for you, probably in minutes on a ramp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

The angular difference between how yours is and the spec range is tiny, around a quarter of one degree of angle outside spec. In my head there's no way that could transform the steering feel. And unless your kerb impact was frontal/symmetrical/both front wheels at once, no way it could affect both sides.

Hear-hear!