Map sensor / turbo actuator fault

65plt 1.2 tsi 8v cbzb decides to lose power occasionally, ive also noticed mpg slightly less than usual. 

Garage suggested it could be the MAP sensors, so ive cleaned them with contact cleaner. When removing the one at the back of the engine it has no screws holding it in place! Ive had the car 5years so dont know why these would be missing, so not sure if they have never been there or have worked loose? And wether this might cause an issue? 

Turbo actuator has also been mentioned but thats a dear-do in replacing so hoping the MAP sensor cleaning does the job. 

Screenshot_20230621_190318_WhatsApp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That's how my MAP sensor is so that is normal.

I had a similar problem on my Rapid TSI 1.2 and it was the turbo actuator arm sticking.

Easy job to lubricate it, you will see a steel rod going from inside the actuator to the exhaust manifold, I just gripped tat rod with a pair of mole grips and pulled it away from the actuator and the back in, working it like this in and out while spraying both ends with penetrating oil, I've had no problems since.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sharpest said:

That's how my MAP sensor is so that is normal.

I had a similar problem on my Rapid TSI 1.2 and it was the turbo actuator arm sticking.

Easy job to lubricate it, you will see a steel rod going from inside the actuator to the exhaust manifold, I just gripped tat rod with a pair of mole grips and pulled it away from the actuator and the back in, working it like this in and out while spraying both ends with penetrating oil, I've had no problems since.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, it did end up being the exhaust turbo actuator. I tried lubing it but it didn't work. Ended up buying a new actuator