Front wheel bearing replacement. DIY job?

My car is a 2016 model Superb, 2.0 litre, 190 BHP.  160K miles.  I have noticed recently when cornering to the right at all speeds, there is a light rumbling sound from the left front wheel.  I am fairly convinced that it is the wheel bearing beginning to fail.  (Might be the CV join?).  Is this a DIY job?  I have searched this site but cannot find any advice about doing it myself.  I have recently had to change the front tyres and the noise remains.  Any advice would be gratefully received.  TIA.

Yes it is a DIY job but you do need the right tools, including the 24mm splined socket for the central wheel bolt. That bolt is the type that is designed to stretch on first tightening so really you should procure a replacement bolt. I would recommend you spend the 8 euros or whatever it is these days, for an hour on ERWIN so that you can download the relevant maintenance manual section. As well as detailed instruction and giving the torque settings (very high for the central bolt!) it also carries warnings about not putting any load on the wheel until the central bolt is fully tight, otherwise you will damage the bearing before you have even driven it! It's a 2 person job as someone needs to press firmly on the brake pedal whilst this bolt is loosened and tightened. You absolutely cannot put the wheel on the ground to stop it turning whilst tightening the bolt. Oh and you might need an extractor to push the shaft out of the bearing, although when I did this on a rear wheel (4wd) it came off fairly easily without a special tool.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks both for your very helpful posts.  Yesterday I jacked up the offending corner and grasped the wheel each side and top and bottom.  I could not detect any play whatsoever.. So maybe the wheel bearing is OK?  For certain, it would not be a MOT failure.  I also gave the drive shaft a good shake and prod but could not detect any play here either.  Maybe the best answer is to turn the music up a bit louder so I can't hear it!!

A noisy wheel bearing will not usually show any play unless it has been ignored for a very very long time.

44 minutes ago, MChris said:

For certain, it would not be a MOT failure.

Not necessarily true, they will spin the wheel whilst listening for a rumble, often putting a finger on the hub carrier to feel it, quite a task with the resistance of the driveshaft and brake disc but it would certainly result in an advisory

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2023 at 10:13, nicknorman said:

Yes it is a DIY job but you do need the right tools, including the 24mm splined socket for the central wheel bolt. That bolt is the type that is designed to stretch on first tightening so really you should procure a replacement bolt. I would recommend you spend the 8 euros or whatever it is these days, for an hour on ERWIN so that you can download the relevant maintenance manual section. As well as detailed instruction and giving the torque settings (very high for the central bolt!) it also carries warnings about not putting any load on the wheel until the central bolt is fully tight, otherwise you will damage the bearing before you have even driven it! It's a 2 person job as someone needs to press firmly on the brake pedal whilst this bolt is loosened and tightened. You absolutely cannot put the wheel on the ground to stop it turning whilst tightening the bolt. Oh and you might need an extractor to push the shaft out of the bearing, although when I did this on a rear wheel (4wd) it came off fairly easily without a special tool.

Or drop an old screwdriver between the plates of the brake disc and let it sit against the caliper to stop the hub turning while you torque it. 

• Thanks 1