Skoda Fabia 3 sudden flurry of error codes -? Battery

Well here I am, on the forum again. In the far North trying to puzzle out a sudden flurry of errors that arose without warning. Could it be the car battery going/gone? 

Card drove couple of hundred miles with no issues. Five days later ECM light and start stop error arose. Also cruise control not available. Drives OK back to campsite. Use obd2, which I keep onboard. 

I get "CAN gateway component protection: production mode active" 

And several "component protection active" on the cruise control, the infotainment system (Which also has a similar line on screen) , rear Iparking sensors and front assist. 

One engine error - 17149 checking coding versions: in power train. 

The forum isn't the place to complain about the car, though you can guess what I am thinking about Skoda. 

My question is, could this be the start stop battery going after almost four years from new? (I wish I had a meter) If so I'll get a new one on the way south. 

Bob 

Hi Polaris, I was looking through the forum to try and find information on an intermittent issue I have had for the past three years and came across your post. My issue is very similar where I get sensor alarms pop up on the dash suggesting certain items are not available. These are always the same and they are Stop/Start function, park assist, front assist and tyre pressure sensor. (I don't have Cruise control). I have taken the car to my local dealer a total of six time now, the first four times they couldn't diagnose the fault but eventually said it was the battery. I had this replaced (£350.00 a year ago) but it did not resolve the issue. They have had the car for the last two weeks and have now told me that I need a replacement ABS system (£1450.00). Although I have twice requested a phone call for the technician to explain what tests were carried out, what the results were and why they have concluded that I need to replace the entire ABS system as of yet no one has had the courtesy to call. I honestly don't think they have a clue what the problem is so I would be extremely interested in knowing how you get on with your issue and if you manage to resolve it. I would also be extremely grateful if anyone else has any suggestions. Regards

Hello Gavin. I have relied very much of forum members here for help, because of my own ignorance in coming from an old Hyundai to a modern electronics saturated vehicle. When I get home I'll tell you what my garage visit reveals. However I'll suggest two things. First start a new thread on this and maybe some of the clever chaps like Breezypete will pick up. Second - I don't know where you are on warranty but Resolver has a good summary of where you might stand if you had asked about the issue inside warranty and subsequently faced with a huge bill outside. The short answer, subject to my memory, is that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 puts responsibility back to the dealer because they didn't do their job properly in the first place. 

Regardless I'll let you know what happens with mine. 

GavinR's problems are unlikely to be a complete ABS system. Individual ABS sensor failures can give the symptoms described. A £10 multimeter is perfectly capable of checking the ABS sensor resistances. And at 10-20 sovs a sensor, a pretty easy fix. Don't use your useless local dealer. Being charged £350 for a Fabia battery is easily 200% too much. Plenty of auto electricians in Poole who can help.

Most faulty wheel speed sensors will still show a plausible resistance but the ECU will log a fault code for no signal or intermittent/implausible signal, the OP has not mentioned this.

I agree that a faulty sensor will cause all manner of other warning lights and fault codes, I was getting "no communication with ABS module" which had me scared and would be a right little earner for the unscrupulous garage but it went when the sensor was replaced.

To the OP - Have you also had a wheel speed sensor fault code?

20 hours ago, Polaris said:

Hello Gavin. I have relied very much of forum members here for help, because of my own ignorance in coming from an old Hyundai to a modern electronics saturated vehicle. When I get home I'll tell you what my garage visit reveals. However I'll suggest two things. First start a new thread on this and maybe some of the clever chaps like Breezypete will pick up. Second - I don't know where you are on warranty but Resolver has a good summary of where you might stand if you had asked about the issue inside warranty and subsequently faced with a huge bill outside. The short answer, subject to my memory, is that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 puts responsibility back to the dealer because they didn't do their job properly in the first place. 

Regardless I'll let you know what happens with mine. 

Hi Polaris, many thanks for your comments and advice, much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, inspectorman said:

GavinR's problems are unlikely to be a complete ABS system. Individual ABS sensor failures can give the symptoms described. A £10 multimeter is perfectly capable of checking the ABS sensor resistances. And at 10-20 sovs a sensor, a pretty easy fix. Don't use your useless local dealer. Being charged £350 for a Fabia battery is easily 200% too much. Plenty of auto electricians in Poole who can help.

inspectorman, thanks for the advice.

Update on scan of Skoda fabia 3. The car drove absolutely fine for four hundred miles round the Highlands and eventually was plugged into an independent VW garage who's diagnosed nothing obvious wrong with engine but the whole load of peripheral component protection errors were causing a confused ECM alert and all that was needed was cancelling them. Just possibly it might be masking a minor component error, although there are no performance issues. 

However IT issues prevented garage ogging onto VW Odis and accidently created new airbag error. So it's wait for a space in book. 

Well, another mysterious Skoda fabia 3 mystery. A very nice chap called Ryan replied to an email and suggested disconnecting the battery for five minutes. Anyway, after that, miraculously the radio, cruise control and start/stop returned. Leaving just airbag and front radar. I got out obd (carista) and tried reset for airbag error. Which also cleared the front driver assist (Apparently). 

So, although I can still see a pile of errors on the obd, as far as the car is concerned it seems and behaves normally. 

Bob