Rear lights to DRL's.

Has anybody managed to activate the rear lights to DRL's on a 2023 VRS, have been told not possible due to type of wiring loom, contacted Skoda UK Customer Service who spoke to their Tech Dept and they suggested turning on side lights, not quite the reply I expected, they obviously never tried to find out or broaden their product knowledge, the words "lazy bastards" spring to mind. !    

26 minutes ago, ELSUSSETTER said:

not quite the reply I expected, they obviously never tried to find out or broaden their product knowledge, the words "lazy bastards" spring to mind. ! 

So you expect Skoda to tell you how to do something with your vehicle that it wasn't designed to do? To make modifications that could impact on your warranty? I think you need to adjust your expectations, if I'm being brutally honest.

The Kodiaq (as with most if not all UK cars) has front DRLs only - their suggestion to turn the sidelights on is the only one that they can give because that's the only solution that would give you the result you want without them advocating modifying the vehicle, which they would never do.

• Like 2

I am baffled by this thread, DRLs are daytime running lights fitted at front so that oncoming traffic and pedestrians can spot you approaching 

Why would you want rear lights as DRLs unless you want to permanently drive in reverse.

Surely if just want lights on, then turn side lights on.

and white reverse lights already come on when select reverse.

My last six Octavias, three of which were VRS, 200bhp, 230bhp and 245bhp Challenge estate all had their rear lights activated, see and be seen. Obviously different markets/legislation require DRLs all round,  SurreyJohn, from your reply you seem to think the lights will illuminate white, the rear lights when activated are red.  My point with the Customer Services/Tech Dept is that no effort was made to answer my question. A reply of "I'm sorry that can't be done because of . . . . ." would have sufficed.    

I activated the "eyelashes" always on with VCDS and this turned the rear lights constantly on, when car is running.

7 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Why would you want rear lights as DRLs unless you want to permanently drive in reverse.

Seems that cheaper japs has no Auto option for lights, as there are tons of Corollas and Civics, driving around in the night with only DRL-s. No rear lights of course. Pretty dangerous.

It’s not really too hard to switch side lights on, if that’s your objective.

In winter months I tend to leave the switch ON for headlights and all.

In summer I flick between 0 and side lights depending on the weather.

• Like 1

Carista or similar will let you turn this on, it comes under Scandanavian Run Lights and is a 2 second change, so yes, I'd imagine a friendly dealer could do it. However it's easier to find someone on here with Carista or OBDEleven. I have it set on mine, might as well be visible to the idiots on the road.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2023 at 10:45, SurreyJohn said:

I am baffled by this thread, DRLs are daytime running lights fitted at front so that oncoming traffic and pedestrians can spot you approaching 

Surely if just want lights on, then turn side lights on.

and white reverse lights already come on when select reverse.

He never mentioned turning the rear whites on, rear lights yes, as they don't illuminate on standard DRL settings, must read better.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^   I enquired years ago for my Yeti, was told back then it could not be done with VCDS / Carista / Obd11, only using the genuine VW kit, can't remember its name though!

Edited by Frenchtone

Some real hyperbole stuff in here. 

@ELSUSSETTER indeed the dealer is unlikely to do this for you. But getting the change done is quick and simple. You just need to find someone with VCDS or OBDeleven and ask them to change the function of the rear lights to DRL. In exchange for a few beers or something. 

WRT the car not being “designed” to do it. Well; not really correct. The function is already written into the vehicle. It just happens not to be active for this market. Which is entirely different to not being designed to do it. You can only change what the car can already do. Not create new functions that don’t exist. 

• Like 1

SCO3OTT,

I've had numerous mods done to previous cars (Octavias) using VCDS and ODIS. Dealership say it's not possible because of wiring loom which is different from other markets that require all round DRL's.  

That honestly sounds like nonsense. I can't see how the loom would be any different. Find yourself someone with OBDELeven or Carista and you'll know for sure.

• Like 1

Coatesy2239,

That's what I thought, dealership activated the rear lights on my last six Octavias and a friend activated a lot more with VCDS (2nd rear fog light, cornering fogs, traffic sign recognition, high beam assist, hellfire lights, skoda surround sound)