Thinking of buying and looking for info.

Hello.

Apologies first as I posted this in another section before realising there was a dedicated place for this model.

First post here just on a fact finding mission.

Been for a test drive today in a new Fabia SE Comfort 1.0TSI 110PS DSG.

Really impressed with that auto gearbox but would like a little insight into some other practical features as there are so many things you don't notice on a short test drive that you think about later.

First thing.  I didn't notice if the door mirrors have a fold-in button.  I seem to have read somewhere that it doesn't on this trim level.

I also noticed that it has no sat-nav but would rely on my Android Auto connection. As this is something I rarely use I am wondering if .... using AA maps through my phone connection, would that be using my phone data or does that somehow pick up through the car antenna?   Sorry but I really am 'vintage tech' I'm afraid.

Next.  With that display screen. If you have nothing selected as a display (no information) what is the default.  On my current Kia Picanto I have a nice big analogue style clock on there. Is there a feature to select something on those lines?

Anything else to be wary about or to have prior knowledge of?

Thanks in advance for any information to help me decide whether to go for this or not.

James.

A number of options can be turned on or off in the car settings on the screen (provided they are fitted) so what is displayed depends on this

About 3 years ago they moved from navigation maps on memory to online, but the new scheme only comes with trial period of a year and then needs an expensive annual subscription (which is called Skoda connect).  So most people just plug their phone in and use google maps or Waze. I haven't used AA maps but probably similar although I don't know if it reroutes you around live delays like other two

Here is link to the brochure, look in the options with prices tables to see if features are included on version you want or cost more.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/775d73bc-eb9d-4a50-911e-863d73b99333

AA would use data from your phone , I've got a 2023 colour TSI and love it , mirrors on mine don't have fold in button , when I park mine of busy road just fold in mirror by hand 

Mine does not come with AA wireless but is a option that I 'm looking at getting turned on to stop having to plug phone in 

Good luck with your search 

Cheers Steve

Edited by steveeeg

• 2 weeks later...

Umbrella in the door, ice scraper in the fuel flap, little box under the wheel for storage, removable cup trays for cleaning and better access to things lost down the seat, I always use Apple Carplay and Waze, very little data usage but I have found that the car seems to try override the GPS. Using it's own antenna, which can cause issues. But nothing a quick off and on of the head unit doesn't fix once every 2500 miles. Coming Home lights can be extended by pushing the boot lid button on key fob. You can buy a gadget from amazon to give you wireless Carplay / Android Auto if you can't get it from the factory.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that.

Don't think the umbrella and ice scraper would swing it for me!

Still very much on the fence about this, mainly because of insurance costs which seem way higher than I am used to.

Appreciate your input, though.

• Sponsor
On 25/07/2023 at 14:48, offthewall said:

Thanks for that.

Don't think the umbrella and ice scraper would swing it for me!

Still very much on the fence about this, mainly because of insurance costs which seem way higher than I am used to.

Appreciate your input, though.

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Have decided to jump in.

Just paid a deposit.

Fabia SE comfort 1.0TSI 110PS DSG in Graphite Grey.

Initial delivery date proposed was 3-4 weeks but have just been informed it could be end of next week.

Only reservations I have about that is that the Road Tax would be August not September and the reg would be 23 not 73.

Anyone see any problems there?

At age 74 and driving since I was 20 this is the first time I've been in a position to actually get a NEW car!

Any tips or advice or anything to look out for that I may not be aware of would be appreciated.

• Like 2

HiI would not worry about when the car is registered and taxed.The main thing is it is still a new car.If the deal was to except the car before the september  plate change it s no big deal.Just make sure you get a deal that reflects.As for a later trade in price (won t make that much difference),when it s time to sell.Sit back and enjoy your new car,you have earned it.Cheers Andy

I would not buy a Space Saver, i would buy the size of Spare Steel Wheel & tyre that Skoda sell.  Saves space, does not lift the floor. but not a SPACE SAVER.

Slightly smaller wheel and taller tyre but near the same circumference.  So an emergency spare and you will still need to go slower, or buy a full size wheel and tyre.

And a tool kit & the insert for the car.

In BRISKODA For Sales maybe, or Ebay or other sales sites.   Just know the size you are looking for. 

What wheels / tyres are on your car??

Edited by toot

Hi Try an internet search engine,or ebay.Cost should be in region of £100/£180 ish.Any local scrap yard could help you.Same wheel size as mk111 fabia,possibly.Cheers Andy

1 hour ago, toot said:

I would not buy a Space Saver, i would buy the size of Spare Steel Wheel & tyre that Skoda sell.  Saves space, does not lift the floor. but not a SPACE SAVER.

Slightly smaller wheel and taller tyre but near the same circumference.  So an emergency spare and you will still need to go slower, or buy a full size wheel and tyre.

And a tool kit & the insert for the car.

In BRISKODA For Sales maybe, or Ebay or other sales sites.   Just know the size you are looking for. 

What wheels / tyres are on your car??

Don't have the car yet but the spec says:

15" Rotare silver alloy wheels
Tyres 185/65 R15 88H

Will be on the lookout for either that or spacesaver.

Don't really care as long as it is better than that gunk, for emergencies.

1 hour ago, offthewall said:

Anyone know of a cheap space saver spare wheel set for this?

Hi, where are you based?

I have a 15 inch space saver wheel that you can have for £20. Never used it as it came with a car where it wouldn't fit.

2 minutes ago, JD52 said:

Hi, where are you based?

I have a 15 inch space saver wheel that you can have for £20. Never used it as it came with a car where it wouldn't fit.

But would it fit the size I quoted (2023 Fabia )

I'm way up in the north-east, near Newcastle upon Tyne, I'm afraid.

26 minutes ago, JD52 said:

Shame,  I am in South Manchester 

Pity.

Seeing as most of the taxi drivers round here drive Skodas I need to find one who is taking a long distance fare down to your area and get him to do the drop ....

see ... optimism in full flood.

:))

Not in a hurry, anyway.

• Like 1

Update.

Collection booked for next Thursday.

Paperwork all sorted and interim insurance (to replace the remainder of my current policy) set up.

As I will now be an active member here I feel that I should point out that, after a response to my post last week, I phoned up Adrian Flux company for a quote.

They say competitive prices for 'older drivers and forum members' but, in the final analysis, the quote I got was almost double the quotes I got from the usual online comparison sites.

So .... only thing outstanding now seems to be sourcing a reasonable price spare wheel.

Any offers considered for either a space saver or a real one available in my area (North-East).

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, offthewall said:

Update.

Collection booked for next Thursday.

Paperwork all sorted and interim insurance (to replace the remainder of my current policy) set up.

As I will now be an active member here I feel that I should point out that, after a response to my post last week, I phoned up Adrian Flux company for a quote.

They say competitive prices for 'older drivers and forum members' but, in the final analysis, the quote I got was almost double the quotes I got from the usual online comparison sites.

So .... only thing outstanding now seems to be sourcing a reasonable price spare wheel.

Any offers considered for either a space saver or a real one available in my area (North-East).

Hi.

I'm sorry we were unable to offer you a competitive insurance quotation but thanks for give us a try though.

Regards,

Dan.

Collected the car today.  

Quick check over and a short drive home and am comfortably impressed.

Will report back in a few days when I've had time to sort through all the menus and get a proper feel of it.

I know I made a joke of the mention of 'the umbrella' being a selling point but ...... can't find one or even where it would go!

Shock .... have the discontinued umbrellas because of global warming or because I have bought a Skoda?

• Like 2

I think the Umbrella is only available on the SE L and Colour trims. To be fair I've had my SE L since Jan and I keep forgetting it's in the driver's door. I actually think its still in it's wrapper 😂

Screenshot_20230819-090054~2.png

6 hours ago, JA1991 said:

I think the Umbrella is only available on the SE L and Colour trims. To be fair I've had my SE L since Jan and I keep forgetting it's in the driver's door. I actually think its still in it's wrapper 😂

Screenshot_20230819-090054~2.png

Well, I don't even have that wee cubby-hole in the door, which is why I wondered.

Anyway, as it happens, the nice young lady from the dealership rang me today on a follow-up to see if all was well with the car so I did mention the umbrella.

Her response was that they don't always put them in the same place. Could be under a seat or in the boot. When I said there was nothing anywhere she replied that, if I call in next time I'm passing she will give me one as we do get far too much rain in this area so it should be quite essential.

Wasn't that nice?

:))

• Like 1

Starting to settle in now and am looking for more of that elusive information.

Being an old fashioned sort I've always been used to having a great fat chunk of handbook which has service records and servicing schedules.

I realise that these days the records are Digital but can anyone tell me how the car owner can access these digital records?

Also, is there any way to access or download actual service schedules that would tell me exactly what needs checking on each service year?

This is something that was always in an owners handbook and would be needed if, for example, I wanted to do my own servicing or take it to an independent garage.

I will be asking for this information next time I go to the dealer but thought someone here might know how to get this information.

Thanks.

With the digital servicing being offline to car owners, I always recommend that get full printout when you go in to pay and pickup the car from a service.

In 12 months time, you won't remember what was and wasn't done this time, which you might need if an Independent does it.  Might not even remember if next time is major or minor service when booking it in.