Very difficult to get out of gear

Hi everyone, had my second hand Octavia MK2 for 4 yrs. Got a problem with shifting out of 1st when been driving about half hour whilst running up and down gear changing through heavy traffic. Recently found gets horrifying worse the further and longer through more heavier traffic. It's like attempting to shift out of gear without dipping the clutch pedal. Does the same taking out of 2nd. Once it starts, it appears inconstant doing it at first but seems more so when the car is hot. Doesn't do it at all when cold. Seems ok getting into gears.

Next time it manifests strongly if it is safe to do so brake to a halt then switch off the engine all the time keeping the clutch depressed, if it then comes out of gear easily your problem is clutch drag, if it doesn't then the problem is the gear selector mechanism.

I suspect the latter, you should then reset the gear linkage cables but it sounds to me that the problem is internal with the synchro hubs or a baulking selector fork perhaps loose on the selector shaft. I hope that I am wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. For extra information in return. Apparently the previous owner had a new clutch fitted in 2018 according to the cars service history. A retired friend mechanic advised me to check gearbox oil wasn't low , wasn't but changed whilst set up, oil came out very clean. He also mentioned gear cable may want lubing, someone else mentioned maybe possible to adjust if stretched. A Skoda garage mentioned may be synchro, but my friend mechanic reckoned synchro generally is only purpose to help mechanism to slow down to aid going into gear, not out.

I read some other similar briskoda cases about gearbox when hot difficult changing gear, something about plastic collets.

One very similar suggestion came from my friend mechanic, he also mentioned your stop and turn off engine to attempt to perhaps point direction of clutch culprit.

Your suggestion is gratefully received . I shall try this asap.

I lack knowledge regards cars and their mechanics. May I ask a theory why only when hot and the more I use the worse it appears to get. Can this so called clutch drag be adjusted. 

If this starts or ends with a process of elimination, besides your first solution to check for clutch drag, are there any other recommendations for similar possible simple tests to perform associated with any of the additional information I have wrote above.

To be truthful, I am worried this may turn into a nightmare of expense. It maybe a no alternative . I hope it's something adjustable like the cables as you wrote.

I eagerly await your reply. 

sincere gratitude.

@Tojodrew - Ok, a lot to answer here, in the order you list stuff in:-

1) My first thought was that the gear linkage may need adjusting (aka re-aligning).

2) Your mate is correct; (balk ring) synchronisation is there primarily to make shifting into gear(s) easier.

3) I'm not sure how to explain the collets.

4) Clutch drag is also very much a thing. This tends to happen with the clutch cable stretching, the hydraulics needing bleeding or the hydraulic slave cylinder (at the gearbox end) needs replacing. Getting this diagnosed needs someone competent and with access to your car.

The gearbox has twin baulk rings anyway so they never wear appreciably, your mecano is correct that their purpose is to aid gear selection not disengagement.

I have occasionally noticed a slight stiffness in disengaging first gear in traffic and when it doesn't repeat I ask myself if I imagined it.

Plastic collets could be guide bushes for the linkage selector shaft and its plausible that they could be gummed up with schmoo and the thermal expansion when hot makes things tighter, the shaft will be less worn in the first gear position so more susceptible, just a theory but some Googling might reveal more.

Hi, thanks again for your further communication. Came home late, just read your message.

The information related to the collets was another similar briskoda query, it was found whilst searching similar accounts where as parts needed cleaning, holes etc. Your message mentions crud and build up as highlighted in the similar case.

I plan next to show your advice and suggestions to my friend, if it's ok, I may come back to you. I shall keep you posted if results are conclusive.

Again, sincere thanks.