Brake booster filter replacement

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something. 

My wife's Fabia 2 hatch used to have a very responsive brake pedal (I would dare say extremely sensitive) when she bought it at 24k miles. This started to become harder with time (braking efficiency still ok, but have to press properly, rather than just tpuch the pedal).

When taking it to Skoda for a service at about 50k miles, the brake pedal magically went as it was at the beginning: light as a feather. At the time my wife was just happy with it, so didn't think aboit asking what they did (this was sort of a bonus for servicing it with them).

Now, at 102k miles, the brake pedal is harder than it was again (brake efficiency still ok).

Doing some research over the internet I found out there is an air filter just under the pedal which filters out dust from the air at atmospheric pressure which enters the brake booster to avoid blockages in time (

Does anyone know how to remove this?

I cand find any guidance anywhere on this, so any help will be much appreciated.

Look for the obvious first, split vacuum pipes where they are pushed over barbed fittings.

• Like 1

Good point J. R. Thanks for that.

I'll keep an eye out for that as well when I'll do the oil and filters change next week.

It is not just that someone finally serviced/cleaned up the brake assemblies, I'm guessing, maybe incorrectly, that this car only gets its brakes serviced when they are not working too yet?

Most likely splits in the hard plastic vacuum pipe between servo and inlet manifold. Losing vacuum assistance so brake pedal goes hard, can also affect idling too. Check all pipe ends and joints, usually its obvious, should be tight fitting, if split will often pull off easily.

Btw sometimes a mechanic / diyer might tape up a joint as a temporary repair. But its never more than a temporary repair and is never fully effective. Note that good brake vacuum circuit integrity is essential, as you may find the assistance disappears abruptly in an emergency situation (particularly if you pump the pedal) and could be a disaster for the driver.

Edited by xman

Thanks for that xman.

Vacuum is always still there. Tye pedal does not go hard...unless turning engine off, of course.

6 minutes ago, APopa said:

Thanks for that xman.

Vacuum is always still there. Tye pedal does not go hard...unless turning engine off, of course.

When you turn off the engine, wait 2 minutes, then without turning it on, check there is still plenty of vacuum in reserve to assist for at least 2 applications of the pedal before it goes hard.

You should actually still have enough vacuum assistance for hours after the engine is turned off for about 3 full pedal depressions.

If it goes hard more or less immediately after you turn off the engine then you have a vacuum leak.

Check that pipe as part of your normal service routine for safety's sake.

• Like 1