Octavia mk2 Scout tyre advice please

MikeTheThinker

My 2007 Scout needs some new feet on the rear.  It currently has Hancook all seasons 225/50 R17 tyres all round but the fronts are fine for a good few thousand miles yet.

Car is a 2l diesel chipped to 180bhp; wheels are 17" alloys.  I don't use the extra grunt much beyond occasional overtakes etc.  Car does around 5-6k miles/year and is used a s family bus plus tow car for my 1 ton trailer.

We live in semi-rural Lancashire and most of my driving is on normal roads although we do venture onto forestry tracks on occasions - but not whilst towing.

My emotional draw is to Michelin tyres as they always seemed to be good for me in times past.  I need to recognise, however, that the car is more ambling than racing, may only live to the end of the latest set of tyres (great car but it's getting on) and as a pensioner price matters more than it used to.

Recommendations for a good, budget all-weather tyre would be great - if such a creature exists? 

Edited by MikeTheThinker

45 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

My 2007 Scout needs some new feet on the rear.  It currently has Hancook all seasons 225/50 R17 tyres all round but the fronts are fine for a good few thousand miles yet.

Car is a 2l diesel chipped to 180bhp; wheels are 17" alloys.  I don't use the extra grunt much beyond occasional overtakes etc.  Car does around 5-6k miles/year and is used a s family bus plus tow car for my 1 ton trailer.

We live in semi-rural Lancashire and most of my driving is on normal roads although we do venture onto forestry tracks on occasions - but not whilst towing.

My emotional draw is to Michelin tyres as they always seemed to be good for me in times past.  I need to recognise, however, that the car is more ambling than racing, may only live to the end of the latest set of tyres (great car but it's getting on) and as a pensioner price matters more than it used to.

Recommendations for a good, budget all-weather tyre would be great - if such a creature exists? 

My preference would be the Vredestein Quatrac 6 as they can often last over 45,000 miles (depending on driving style), but if you are replacing just two tyres and already have four Hankook all-season tyres fitted then perhaps go for the Hankook's.

One big benefit of using all-season tyres for low mileage users, is that unlike summer tyres they don't crack after just a few years.

My current Vredestein Quatrac 3 all-season tyres still haven't cracked after 11 years, but my previous Michelin summer tyres cracked after only 5 years and had to be replaced even though they still had a lot of tread depth remaining.

Hankook Kinergy 4S 2 H750 225/50R17 98V XL

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m140b0s8019p164790/Hankook_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Hankook_Kinergy_4S_2_H750_225_50_R17_98V_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_72dB

Vredestein Quatrac 6 225/50R17 98V XL

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m140b0s8019p221178/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_225_50_R17_98V_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Carlston said:

One big benefit of using all-season tyres for low mileage users, is that unlike summer tyres they don't crack after just a few years.

That's well worth knowing, thanks.

• Like 1

Those newish looking Hankook Ventus Prime 3 tyres that were on my Yeti when you inspected it for me in the salvage yard 3 or more years ago are still on it having racked up another 45000 miles, they have just got down to the 3mm tread wear indicators evenly on all 4 tyres with judicious swapping and tweaking of the pressures (I measure and record the tread depth and gradient each rotation and adjust pressure to correct any uneven wear).

I reckon they will give another 15000 miles as they are now giving their best grip and least wear, they will be replaced when the first goes under 1.6mm.

I have never had tyres last so long but it's mainly due to how I drive these days and the superb road and traffic (lack of!) conditions, when I first started driving tyre life was measured in weeks but I traded up so frequently that I rarely had to fit new ones.

I am beginning to wonder of the transmission noise I have now is actually tyre noise, it has not got any worse since my stupidity with draining the diff and not the Haldex and I no longer have the rear seats or parcel shelf in place,  the whine/drone sounds like a Land Rover running on Firestone SAT's but considerably quieter

• Like 1