Disable Cold Start Procedure?

I have a EA211 1.4 TSI 150 ACT in my car although not an Octavia.

I recently fitted an induction kit and on cold start it sounds absolutely ridiculous, really loud sucking noise at high idle and when simply driving out of a parking spot and driving out of the carpark it constantly wooshes like I've just done a pull on full boost, even though I'm hardly using throttle and low revs. It's embarrassing and I constantly get weird looks from colleagues lol.

This only happens if it's a cold start though, if the car was used up to a few hours before me leaving work it's perfectly quiet as it should be, so can I simply disable the cold start procedure? I know some people get this done on some performance cars but I'm not sure if I'd get issues with this engine. And if someone can tell me how to do this using the Car Scanner ELM app that would be great.

Edit: It's a Forge open foam cone filter and I've tried using a pleated RAMAIR one and it made 0 difference to the sound

Thanks

Edited by ruida_silva
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ruida_silva said:

I have a EA211 1.4 TSI 150 ACT in my car although not an Octavia.

Your details say you have a Fabia Elegance cr 1.6 - maybe worth updating them?

• Like 1

So you modified the engine and caused an issue, and rather than fix the issue and revert to the working air box, you want to hide/cover it up? Doesn’t sound right dude 

An induction kit is there to remove the baffles and create induction noise and let the air flow more freely so it’s working spot on.

Have you made sure you have no air leaks or anything else and if you have a MAF sensor that it’s plugged in and directed the right way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

So you modified the engine and caused an issue, and rather than fix the issue and revert to the working air box, you want to hide/cover it up? Doesn’t sound right dude 

An induction kit is there to remove the baffles and create induction noise and let the air flow more freely so it’s working spot on.

Have you made sure you have no air leaks or anything else and if you have a MAF sensor that it’s plugged in and directed the right way?

No it isn't right but it's awful I'm not sure how people live with it. I've checked all the connections. No MAF sensor, it was simply remove some piping, install silicone and filter and done. I thought a completely different type of cone would change it but didn't

I won't lie, before I made this post I didn't realise how short the cold start was, seems to only last like 15-20 seconds so I will just wait before driving off instead of messing about disabling it. Not sure how long it will be in the winter.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ruida_silva said:

No it isn't right but it's awful I'm not sure how people live with it. I've checked all the connections. No MAF sensor, it was simply remove some piping, install silicone and filter and done. I thought a completely different type of cone would change it but didn't

I won't lie, before I made this post I didn't realise how short the cold start was, seems to only last like 15-20 seconds so I will just wait before driving off instead of messing about disabling it. Not sure how long it will be in the winter.

All them pipes and bulges on the OE piping aren’t just there for looks, they are all baffles and suppressors to dampen the noise that you are talking about :) 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2023 at 16:35, ruida_silva said:

I recently fitted an induction kit and on cold start it sounds absolutely ridiculous,  It's embarrassing and I constantly get weird looks from colleagues lol.

Most purchasers of said item would be delighted with what you are complaining about.

Ah the penny has dropped, it only lasts for 15 seconds so you cant go cruising around annoying the heck out of people!

Maybe change it for one of the dump valves that sounds like an owl howling or a popcorn rev limiter?

All tongue in cheek by the way, I've reached pension age before growing up and spent 4 decades with straight through exhausts on 7's latterly revving to 11K with motorcycle engines, now I get wound up when I hear younger versions of myself hooning around and realise what many people must have really thought about me.

• Haha 1

I like tasteful modifications so when the induction sounds like it does on a cold start, it definitely isn't for me haha. I'm not the usual hooner making a load of noise, just like a bit of something to enjoy the car a bit more

• Like 1

I'm surprised the op is complaining just how noticeable the noise is only for 15 seconds though. Wouldn't one expect the induction noise to be very noticeable at wot in low gears like 1, 2 and 3,  where road speed noise doesn't dull it out. 

I.e. under hard acceleration in low gears I would expect the significant increase in induction  noise to also be present...  even on a fully warmed up engine ( don't test hard acceleration,  wot with a cold engine BTW.).   

Edited by TheClient

Tough crowd on the Octavia groups eh haha. It for some reason lasts longer when I drive away so I'm wooshing away out of the car park like I have a broken car, I almost put the factory box back on or even modified it.

The problem isn't how loud it is in general, it's how unecessarily and obnoxiously loud it is when I'm simply driving out of the car park with feather like pressure on the throttle at like 10 mph.

Hard acceleration is fine as that's what I want it for (car always gets up to temp before this if I ever fancy doing it).

Edited by ruida_silva
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ruida_silva said:

Tough crowd on the Octavia groups eh haha. It for some reason lasts longer when I drive away so I'm wooshing away out of the car park like I have a broken car, I almost put the factory box back on or even modified it.

The problem isn't how loud it is in general, it's how unecessarily and obnoxiously loud it is when I'm simply driving out of the car park with feather like pressure on the throttle at like 10 mph.

Hard acceleration is fine as that's what I want it for (car always gets up to temp before this if I ever fancy doing it).

Crowds can be tough here sometimes!  😉 😉 

Yes, OK.

I'm just not sure why it's quite as noticeable  as you say, when cold. 

Yes, revs are a bit elevated. Fuel mixture is richer, until target temps are reached. engine tolerances are tighter.  Buts whats all the additional noise if its as significant as you indicate.  If it had an aftermarket exhaust or res delete I'd also understand it more routinely. 

If the cars warmed up and you drive it around at 1100rpm like the cold fast idle speed, I'm feeling that you're saying it doesn't sound the same at all.   

I'm not sure what the answer is To be frank.  Q: You're not in an underground car park when starting cold are you? That could make engine induction a lot more noticeable... and exhaust noise as well. If it was identical location for cold starts when you had the factory intake system then it must be just a consequence of the aftermarket intake set up. As several others posters have already pointed out...  

It's probably just a characteristic of these engines. If I can simply wait several seconds for the cold start to finish then I don't mind. My old car used to have like a 2 minute cold start and I wasn't gonna wait that long while traffic builds up on the estate haha.

if the car is warm or even after the cold start is done, at 1100 RPM I get hardly any sound but on cold start it's very in your face. No underground carpark and everything else is standard.

Yeah I agree it's just a consequence but these engines are fairly common and I've seen a lot modifying them but no complaints about aftermarket induction kits, maybe people like the sound it makes on a cold start, idk

Sounds daft but I never pull away until that cold start procedure has been done. It's normally 15 seconds to a minute, really not long. Multiple reasons why, it will be there to assist heating oil up so it's getting to all parts of the engine and to get some temp into the cats. 

Not sure if the 1.4 uses the same intake as my wife's 1.2, she has 3 different size stack trumpet style tubes on her intake pipe, I am guessing this is to offset intake resonance so by removing those maybe that's what you are hearing.

Yeah normally me neither but it’s all a mad rush to get to the nearest roundabout, during a busy period I sort of just got used to turning the car on, wait a few seconds then go.

if it’s the EA211 then it’s the same design.

its just not normally a sound I heard from  any other cars with this kit but it’s probably just how it’s all designed