It won't start... sometimes

I said I'd update this thread after a few months, so here I am again. But after reading my last comment I seem to have forgotten to tell you all a critical part of the story!

During the visit to the mechanic, not only did he change the battery and fuel pump, but after I arrived and tested the (still broken) car, he proceeded to replace the ignition coil.

After this, the car not only survived the 30 minute journey home, but hasn't switched itself off or failed to start since then.

Sorry that I forgot that part, I have no excuse for it, it was so long ago. But hopefully with this update I've made up for it.

Thank you all for your input. I hope that this helps someone.

edit: now I'm wondering whether I actually went back to the mechanic on a separate occasion where he replaced the coil. My memory is failing me, I don't know. Either way, the problem was definitely the ignition coil.

Edited by rcambrj