Thinking about replacing Octavia ??

Hello folks, long term lurker here, but looking for anyone's experiences of mk3 VRS ?

We have a 59 plate VRS diesel (CEGA engine, CR) which now has 230k on it, still drives great and has never needed anything out of the ordinary.

But the time will come when it gets a bit scabby looking and we'll look for a newer one......so !?

Pretty set on another diesel due to the present car being so reliable and easy to work on ...are the later diesels just as good?

Thanks in advance.

John.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I’m driving a Scout which uses the same engine used in the diesel VRS.

It’s pretty reliable unless bad maintained with long service intervals and/or incorrect oil used.

Not sure does your 59’ plate have a DPF, but those EA288 ones in MK3 usually regen every 120-200 miles city driving and 300-400 highway. Depending on how the car is driven, the DPF may need cleaning/replacement if the car is on more than 100-150k miles.

Avoid first 184 TDIs with engine code CUPA as they tend to burn some oil if the car has been on extended service intervals. Mine is CUNA on 100k miles and is great so far(knock on wood).

I use some Archoil fuel conditioner every now and then, but not sure is it necessary at all. Some folks here say that a tank of premium diesel every 3-4 tanks of regular one is enough to keep the injectors and fuel system clean.

Edited by fr1nklyn

On 28/09/2023 at 00:40, fr1nklyn said:

You can find some complains in the following two threads, and this is just example.. :D

Thanks for that, will need to check engine code and service history when viewing any potential cars. I service the car we've got myself every 10k miles and I can't recall ever having to add oil between changes.  I check it probably once avery 2 weeks.

On 28/09/2023 at 01:40, fr1nklyn said:

You can find some complains in the following two threads, and this is just example.. :D

Somehow I've missed this thread but my TDI vRS also has had a slightly high oil consumption most of its life.

I usually put around 0.75-1L of oil every 15k km so its not at all as terrible as the owners in the thread but I usually have to fill it at least once between yearly services.

9 hours ago, JohnMack said:

Thanks for that, will need to check engine code and service history when viewing any potential cars. I service the car we've got myself every 10k miles and I can't recall ever having to add oil between changes.  I check it probably once avery 2 weeks.

Yes, this won’t guarantee you a perfect used car, but will definitely decrease the risk of major issues.

8 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Somehow I've missed this thread but my TDI vRS also has had a slightly high oil consumption most of its life.

I usually put around 0.75-1L of oil every 15k km so its not at all as terrible as the owners in the thread but I usually have to fill it at least once between yearly services.

What’s your engine code and service history?

It's from 2014 so I assume it's a CUPA.

It's serviced every 12 months for the last 10 years at the same Skoda garage but it's always been on the variable service interval as I do >30k km each year.

1L every 15k is not that bad in the end but my previous cars never needed a top up between services.

Dealers have always said it's "within spec".

As there's no signs of oil leaking it would also fit with the issue described in the threads.

It's 10 years old now & hasn't missed a beat so far but will probably go in the next year or so as im waiting on a new Superb.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gabbo said:

It's from 2014 so I assume it's a CUPA.

It's serviced every 12 months for the last 10 years at the same Skoda garage but it's always been on the variable service interval as I do >30k km each year.

1L every 15k is not that bad in the end but my previous cars never needed a top up between services.

Dealers have always said it's "within spec".

As there's no signs of oil leaking it would also fit with the issue described in the threads.

It's 10 years old now & hasn't missed a beat so far but will probably go in the next year or so as im waiting on a new Superb.

1L per 15k km is absolutely fine and normal. Nothing to worry about. Some CUPA owners claim 1L per 2000km.. 😕 

• Like 2

On 02/10/2023 at 20:43, Gabbo said:

That's not much at all, i could cope with that !

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JohnMack said:

That's not much at all, i could cope with that !

Yes, that's normal ICE oil consumption. I'm talking about much worse oil consumption on some of these CUPA engines. You just decrease the chance to have such issue by avoiding this engine code, IMO.

I guess it's not critical & it's always been consistent but I've never owned a diesel before that needed a oil top up between services.

15k km is less than 10k miles.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 28/09/2023 at 00:40, fr1nklyn said:

Read through most of those threads, my head's bursting!

So........ would a CUPA engined VRS with 92k miles and history showing oil changes every 10k miles be a good car ?     I'm thinking it's been looked after ?  If it's not using oil and I continue with the 10k mile oil change intervals, will it be ok?......... or is it likely to develop a thirst regardless ?!

19 hours ago, JohnMack said:

Read through most of those threads, my head's bursting!

So........ would a CUPA engined VRS with 92k miles and history showing oil changes every 10k miles be a good car ?     I'm thinking it's been looked after ?  If it's not using oil and I continue with the 10k mile oil change intervals, will it be ok?......... or is it likely to develop a thirst regardless ?!

No one can tell you for sure. But if it’s not burning oil and you like the car, drive it and continue to maintain it well.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 11:57, fr1nklyn said:

No one can tell you for sure. But if it’s not burning oil and you like the car, drive it and continue to maintain it well.

Thanks, I did ask the seller if he was topping up between services. His answer was yes....towards the service being due ?  

Have decided to stop looking for the time being, will plough on with "old faithful" !     ( Turned 240k today:)

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 18:47, JohnMack said:

Thanks, I did ask the seller if he was topping up between services. His answer was yes....towards the service being due ?  

Have decided to stop looking for the time being, will plough on with "old faithful" !     ( Turned 240k today:)

I think it is a little unrealistic to expect an engine to consume no lube oil at all. Providing oil consumption does not exceed specifications, there should be no concern for a small quantity to be used between service periods.

There was even a time where Rolls Royce would recall cars for engine rework if they were found to be not using the correct quantity of oil. 

On 22/03/2024 at 22:06, Warrior193 said:

I think it is a little unrealistic to expect an engine to consume no lube oil at all.

I agree, but I'd like it to be a minimal amount 👍