Intermittent starting dash power immobiliser faults

Hi all.

Just after some advice please.

I am still browsing every website I can and coming up with ideas but thought i'd just ask here also.

2008 Mk2 vRS petrol

Over the last year I've had maybe  4 immobiliser active on start up.

This hasn't happened for at least 4 months - recently though - after start up the car cut out - suggesting immobiliser - did this twice then - when turning key - the dash has no life at all.

I can hear relays clicking like mad behind the dash/bottom right - jiggling the key doesn't seem to make a difference and randomly the dash will spark up and it will start.

Sometimes it starts and cuts out but restarts fine - other times it starts and run no issues.

IT did also cut out mid run the other day in drive through queue -Its odd if the immo cuts in mid journey

Its the same with both keys.

Is it immobiliser fault? 

Is it the key ignition reader ring fault?

Basic relay somewhere fault?

Or the connectors on the dash fault?

All leads etc from battery are good and tight.

Haven't got VCDs 

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Also to add - with the key in and ignition on - when all the dash is alive as i turn it to start that is when all the relays are going mad.

With the car started if i 'tease' the key from position 2 to 3 as if to start it again at mid turn the relays are going again and the car stalls but restarts immeditaly.

I suspect there is a bad ignition switch connection or bad solder joint on the instrument cluster, in any case a diagnostic scan should be your first priority.

Had similar problem 58 plate octavia 1.9tdi. Relays clicking and weird warning lights etc. Turned out to be a failing batteryand dash connection. Most of the time the car started but randomly wouldn't turn over, Just lots of clicking and warning lights as well as that annoying chime. Checked battery and only puting out 9volts max. Also had problems with the connector at the back of the dash that needed cleaned and re seated. Had dpf light and fog light dash symbols on all the time and a few others just showing dimmlly.  Once socket and plug cleaned with new battery it was back to normal. Disconnect the battery if your removing the dash!!

Does it do it with both keys? Have a seat 1.9tdi that went into safe mode for 6 months after using the spare key which I forgot was defective. Was going to cost a lot for seat to diagnose and they said it may need a major software update as well as new keys and reader so as I wasn't using it left it with the battery disconnected for a good few months. For some reason it sorted itself?? still don't know how.

• Like 1