Am I mad for considering a 1.2tsi Fabia with 190k on the clock?

SIRHC

Hi there, 

Currently driving an almost 200k miles mk6 Fiesta diesel (1.4tdci - 2008) but looking for something a bit less battered, newer (age wise), and less likely to end up falling foul of any ULEZ type situation that might be on the horizon. 

I've been researching what's available online, and like the idea of a Skoda Fabia but don't have much of a budget (about £4k right now - original plan was to seriously look in the new year with around £5k+)

Seen one online (details below) that is within budget, looks smart, no cat S/N, MOT history looks good, but milage is 190k. 

SKODA Fabia

1.2 TSI Colour Edition Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr
2017 (66 reg)

£3,995

High mileage doesn't particulary worry me in a diesel, but petrol? 

TLDR: is a 1.2TSI AT 190K end of life?

I’m no expert and only been driving a Skoda since April but personally that sounds a lot of miles, especially for a petrol. Personally not sure I’d consider such high mileage but am no expert when it comes to Skoda expectations

Yeah, it is high, but my thought being it's likely "motorway miles" given the age. Is that any worse than 2k a year of school runs? I'm finding it all a bit daunting to be honest! 

Welcome.

So that it is running and if running well that is good.

Even with Skoda / VW having changed the Cam Belt recommendations and they are no longer @ 5 years or 50,000 or 60,000 or what ever this one should have been changed or will need to be changed.

Has the oil services been every 20,000 miles or sooner, and history of spark plug changes 1,2 or 3 times? 

Are all the tyres good, brakes looking ok, windscreen not chipped? 

Personally i think i would swerve it, but maybe it will go on 'All night mister', and someone gets a good car.  Doubt it though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SIRHC said:

Hi there, 

Currently driving an almost 200k miles mk6 Fiesta diesel (1.4tdci - 2008) but looking for something a bit less battered, newer (age wise), and less likely to end up falling foul of any ULEZ type situation that might be on the horizon. 

I've been researching what's available online, and like the idea of a Skoda Fabia but don't have much of a budget (about £4k right now - original plan was to seriously look in the new year with around £5k+)

Seen one online (details below) that is within budget, looks smart, no cat S/N, MOT history looks good, but milage is 190k. 

SKODA Fabia

1.2 TSI Colour Edition Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr
2017 (66 reg)

£3,995

High mileage doesn't particulary worry me in a diesel, but petrol? 

TLDR: is a 1.2TSI AT 190K end of life?

What's the value of your Fiesta just now?

4 hours ago, EnterName said:

What's the value of your Fiesta just now?

Whatever a fiesta's weight of slightly rusted steel is! Scrap value only I'm afraid - the only decent paintwork on it is courtesy of hammerite, and while I've kept on top of brakes, tyres, engine etc, pretty much everything else is missing or broken. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toot said:

Welcome.

So that it is running and if running well that is good.

Even with Skoda / VW having changed the Cam Belt recommendations and they are no longer @ 5 years or 50,000 or 60,000 or what ever this one should have been changed or will need to be changed.

Has the oil services been every 20,000 miles or sooner, and history of spark plug changes 1,2 or 3 times? 

Are all the tyres good, brakes looking ok, windscreen not chipped? 

Personally i think i would swerve it, but maybe it will go on 'All night mister', and someone gets a good car.  Doubt it though.

It looks ok, tyres match (ish - looks like fronts / rears have been changed as pairs) mid way worn. Screen seems ok (nothing obvious). Not sure on servicing, but clutch just been changed....

Argh, used car prices are crazy right now - half the stuff at similar price are kid vomit stained Corsa's with 10 advisories every MOT! 

10 hours ago, SIRHC said:

Whatever a fiesta's weight of slightly rusted steel is! Scrap value only I'm afraid - the only decent paintwork on it is courtesy of hammerite, and while I've kept on top of brakes, tyres, engine etc, pretty much everything else is missing or broken. 

The reason I ask, is because I found it very useful when considering a new car, to look at the cost to swap, which in your case is going to be about £3500-£3800, and ask what you're getting for you're £3500.

If your Fiesta really is a pile of garbage, and the Fabia is running okay and is in nice condition, then you can decide whether it's worth the cost to change.

• Like 1

Used car asking prices are crazy.  Luckily you do not always need to pay the asking price if a car is not selling at the sellers wish and a dream price.   Enthusiasts forums can be a good place to watch for cars for sale or put up a wanted advert. Eg Briskoda. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SIRHC said:

19 hours ago, SIRHC said:

It looks ok, tyres match (ish - looks like fronts / rears have been changed as pairs) mid way worn. Screen seems ok (nothing obvious). Not sure on servicing, but clutch just been changed....

Argh, used car prices are crazy right now - half the stuff at similar price are kid vomit stained Corsa's with 10 advisories every MOT! 

Don't be too quick to write off your car, if it's a good runner.

Yes, you might want shot of it, but it might be worth a bit more than you expect in these crazy times. At least it has the virtue of not being vomit-stained and an MOT nightmare. 👍

Good luck!