Superb 2 2010 2.0tdi Battery Drain

I have a battery drain issue on our Superb 2. From full charge and after sitting about 4 days there's not enough left in the battery to start the car. It's anew battery.

It's a new Bosch battery fitted back in March of this year because the previous one was causing the same problem (I'm now beginning to wonder if there was a problem with the original?). Everything was fine with the new battery until a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the driver's seat (disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes in the process). Maybe there's a link between replacing the driver's seat or disconnecting the battery and something resetting. The driver's seat is heated/memory, I'm considering fitting the old one to see if this fixes the problem. I also have navigation.

Any ideas please?

Does the seat have a canbus node?

I'm thinking that it probably has and you have not updated the installation list to show the new installed module, VCDS will show a comms error, a module trying to communicate with the ECU or the ECU unable to communicate with the old one will probably result in the network and all the modules remaining awake, that big spark that you get when you disconnect the battery.

Same deal as when the head unit is replaced with a Chinese one on earlier vehicles, you have not given any details of your vehicle so we cannot say if this is the case. It was on my 2006 Octavia but not with the 2015 Yeti.

Ok that makes some sense. Both the old and new seats were electric/heated so I didn’t expect an issue.

so if I re install the old seat would it come back to normal?

I can replace the heating elements in the old seat and put it back it, that was part of my plan anyway.

Or could I take the module out of the old seat and put it in the new one?

Why don't you start measuring?

First measure total standby current at the battery to determine whether you have a battery problem or a consumption problem.

Than measure the current at the main fuses one by one.

This will give you a rough idea of the problem location. Than measure the small fuses behind that main fuse to find out which circuit is causing the problem.

Simply replacing parts without a thorough analysis is not smart.

• Like 1

It’s a new battery that was fine before I changed the seat. Easiest option seems to be to put things back as they were before the problem arose, it’s 20 minutes to change the seat. If I take a measurement it will show a drain and the first step will be to replace the seat anyway!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a scan with VCDS, I am in no way proficient with VCDS, I just use it to scan for faults.

Two codes came up, not sure if these could be the cause of the battery drain? There is a receipt for a replacement Columbus headunit in the history file, I believe this was a like-for-like swap but no idea if it either needed coding or was coded?

2023-10-15 11.58.26.jpg

2023-10-15 11.58.33.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...