Both front windows not working from any switch?

Hi all,

Ive got a bit of a problem with my 2004 Fabia vRS, so I’ve had a new gearbox and since then my front windows won’t open from any of the switches, I’ve checked the fuses and they seem all okay so I’m stuck. 

I don’t hear anything from the motors at all either, they did come back for part of my drive yesterday and that’s it 

Do you know when your car was built? Profile says 2005, but you're saying 2004? Is it pre or post-facelift?

If it's a facelift car, did your fuse check include fuse 11?

Do the windows open/close if you turn and hold the key turned in the driver's door lock?

Does the battery light come on with ignition?

Edited by Breezy_Pete

32 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Do you know when your car was built? Profile says 2005, but you're saying 2004? Is it pre or post-facelift?

If it's a facelift car, did your fuse check include fuse 11?

Do the windows open/close if you turn and hold the key turned in the driver's door lock?

Does the battery light come on with ignition?

Sorry. It’s a Jan 2005 reg so 54 and my brain just says 2004 out of habit 

I’ve not checked if they open with the key in the lock yet tbf, I’ll try that soon 

battery light doesn’t come on at all, there’s nothing I can see apart from maybe a broken wire that might cause it. I’ve checked all earths, all fuses in the fuse box, the fuses on the battery cover too

Alternator exciter (blue) wire may have got broken during gearbox removal/refit, that would cause no battery light with ignition.

There's a connector pair on a bracket near starter that will have been unplugged. May even just need reconnecting, if it got missed on reassembly. 

Battery may not have been getting much charge as a result, which could be relevant.

There's just one wire that connects driver's side and passenger side window motors on the facelift cars. A LIN bus data connection which is grey/white all the way, within each door loom, and from one side of car to the other in the cabin loom to each A-pillar connector.

Here's the driver's side wiring, showing the permanent and ignition switched 12V feeds which would be good to measure at the motor connectors, both relative to the main thick brown earth wire.

DSideWiring_2.jpg

20 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Alternator exciter (blue) wire may have got broken during gearbox removal/refit, that would cause no battery light with ignition.

There's a connector pair on a bracket near starter that will have been unplugged. May even just need reconnecting, if it got missed on reassembly. 

Battery may not have been getting much charge as a result, which could be relevant.

Ive looked at the car and I can see there is a couple of snapped wires in the little wiring connector. Do you know what gauge they are so I can but some replacement wire and solder it in?

They'll be 0.5mm squared cross sectional area or thinner, so 20 AWG will be a sensible size to graft in, if that's equivalent. 

Make sure you go far enough to find clean uncorroded copper in each direction.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
Correction

Just now, Breezy_Pete said:

They'll be 0.5mm squared cross sectional area or thinner, so 24 AWG will be a sensible size to graft in. 

Make sure you go far enough to find clean uncorroded copper in each direction.

Cheers mate, ill get a small bundle of 24 AWG and get it sorted. I know how to do wiring and soldering luckily. 

Just now, Breezy_Pete said:

See edit, 20 AWG is 0.5mm squared according to first Google result I found, not sure why I thought 24.

No stress. Thanks for correcting, ill get some 20 AWG instead, lucky I hadnt managed to purchase it yet 😂

• Like 1

I’ve had the wiring done and still nothing from the windows, is there anything else it could be. I had both regulators done 2 years ago to stop them from breaking, but I hear nothing from the motors. Could it be the comfort thing I’ve heard about in the window motor