Skoda Rapid battery replacement

I have a Skoda Rapid Spaceback SE Sport TDi 1.4 needing a new battery.   it currently has an AGM batterty.  Ive been told when I buy this battery it needs coded in - is this correct?  I've had a quote of £258 from Kwikfit who says it may or may not need this coded - obviously can buy cheaper online but no good without coding?

Edited by SilverRoomster

I believe that is correct.  Modern cars adjust their charging as the battery ages, and if you fit a new battery without telling the car, it will continue to treat the battery as old.  This may result in overcharging of the new battery, which can shorten its lifespan. 

You can search on this or other forums to find someone with VCDS or similar, who can do the recode for you.  It really is a very simple process - you just type in a new part number.  Piece of.  I have VCDS but I'm in Suffolk - bit of a trek to Fife!

Martin

• Like 2

If you have a BMS "lump" on the battery -VE then coding in a new battery is the correct thing to do, the general rule tends to be "has it got auto Stop/Start" but early on smart charging etc came before auto Stop/Start and all smart charging meant having a module on the battery -VE, so checking for that is the best plan - this module on the battery -VE will have a plug/socket and so a cable coming away from it.

• Like 2