Coolant loss but no visible marks

Hello,

I have a Octavia 3 TDI 2.0 CRMB engine and lately it is loosing coolant, mainly during city traffic. I drove 3-4 days ( no more than 100 km in total) in the city and i see a coolant loss level of 1-2 lines on the expansion tank. But during long drives, i did 1000 km and i noticed zero loss in liquid level.... . I had the car visually inspected and there are no wet patches on the engine or underside of the car, even left it 3 days in the same spot and was all the time dry under the car. Checked the silica bag and it is intact and no cracks (i plan to have it removed soon). Next step is to go to a garage and have them put a camera and check the intercooler on the engine for cracks and a more detailed look on the water pump.
Anyone had similar issues, because i see the main problem is the water pump, but mine is dry all the time and if it was the intercooler, then why i only loose liquid while driving in the city and nothing at long trips?

Any correspondence between the temperature guage saying 90°c and the actual engine temperature is coincidental.

The guage will read a rock steady 90°c over a very wide range of temperatures.

The only way to be sure is to look at live data using VCDS or similar.

• Like 1

The reason I asked if there was any sign of overheating (and consequently losing coolant) while in traffic was me wondering if the cooling fans were cutting-in - they aren't normally required at higher vehicle speeds due to the 'ram-air' effect.

I'd certainly recommend checking cooling fan operation. 

• Like 1