Crankshaft sensor

Bo67

Got to take load of scrap wood to the local fireworks bonfire Saturday so will continue with my quest to replace the crankshaft sensor after that. Thanks everyone. 

Well l removed the electric radiator  fan and it gave me more room to try to see the sensor,l used torch and small mirrors,  a led camera plugged into my phone and yes l can see the sensor mainly with led camera but its impossible to get to ,l can just touch the plug with the tip of my finger, to much in the way and god knows how l get to that torx bolt holding it in , as its  recessed in the housing,  cannot even remove the plug on the end and if l could l would worry about re-fitting it because l cannot get my fingers on it, going to take it to my local garage who is going to have a look.👍

Well took it to my local garage who have told me they are virtually impossible to get to and the best way is to remove the gearbox and they want lots of money just to replace a £20 sensor, still scratching me head ,has anyone out there replaced one if so how did you do it.

Regards bob 

Ended taking  it to my local guy at mr clutch who removed the gearbox, big job, to gain acess to the crankshaft sensor, what a stupid  place to put it totally recessed in the casing between the engine and gearbox as per picture, hopefully no one else will need to replace theirs, car seems ok so far.👍

IMG-20231103-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

Not stupid, its the only place it could go, the problem is all the clutter obstructing access to it, it looks from the photo that it is removed in a radial direction and that the fixings are external and not within the bellhousing or is it the entire dark grey casing that looks like the rear main bearing seal carrier?

Surely they could have put it in a accessible place  the only way is to remove the gearbox ,other cars l have had in the past are straight forward bolt out and bolt in with easy access. 

20231104_193919.jpg

Now you have circled it it is reasonably clear that the sensor is withdrawn to the side of the engine block, the 2 bolts within the circle are for the crankshaft rear seal carrier.

You can see the hole in the engine block casting to withdraw it.

The only 2 places the sensor can be is radially around either the front or rear of the crankshaft, the rear is unhindered by cam belts, timing chains, water pumps etc and the risk of coolant or oil contamination as the oil seal is not exposed to road dust and spray.

It is where the sensor is found on most vehicles, I think torsional vibration of the crankshaft and the influence of the front pulley mounted harmonic damper is also a deciding factor.

• 5 months later...
On 22/10/2023 at 11:36, Breezy_Pete said:

@Bo67 can you work out where on the engine that last post's images are showing?

Hi Pete,

Please excuse this post out of the blue, but you clearly know what you’re talking about. Could you advise me?

I have had a 2005 Skoda Octavia mk 2 since 2008 and I’ve looked after her like an old friend. The crankshaft sensor has gone faulty on it and my mechanic has spent nearly two hours trying to remove it.

The problem is the top of it is severely corroded (see pic) and he just can’t get any purchase on it to remove it. The only solution is to drop the gearbox out, he says, and the would cost around a grand (as it would be crazy not to replace the 224k mile clutch at the same time).

He’s a top bloke and excellent mechanic, but I just wondered if you knew of any hacks for removing a corroded sensor, before I sadly condemn the car as beyond economic repair, as my chap has suggested I consider. 

I’m a bit gutted it’s going out this way, for a rather trivial failure. Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Pete

bccac269-3310-4fd6-b065-453fc46b5a48.jpeg

On 22/10/2023 at 11:36, Breezy_Pete said:

@Bo67 can you work out where on the engine that last post's images are showing?

Hi Pete,

Please excuse this post out of the blue, but you clearly know what you’re talking about. Could you advise me?

I have had a 2005 Skoda Octavia mk 2 since 2008 and I’ve looked after her like an old friend. The crankshaft sensor has gone faulty on it and my mechanic has spent nearly two hours trying to remove it.

The problem is the top of it is severely corroded (see pic) and he just can’t get any purchase on it to remove it. The only solution is to drop the gearbox out, he says, and the would cost around a grand (as it would be crazy not to replace the 224k mile clutch at the same time).

He’s a top bloke and excellent mechanic, but I just wondered if you knew of any hacks for removing a corroded sensor, before I sadly condemn the car as beyond economic repair, as my chap has suggested I consider. 

I’m a bit gutted it’s going out this way, for a rather trivial failure. Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Pete

Hi Pete, they are a real pain to remove and replace, skoda/VW seem to put the crankshaft  sensor in a place you cannot get to, that was the case for my skoda roomster,  dont know if the Octavia is the same but it looks like it, l had to get  my local guys at Mr Clutch to remove the gearbox to access it, not a easy job but for them easy because they do them all day, gave me a good price so l had to bite the bullet and pay them, got the sensor off Ebay not to expensive. Just do you homework and get some prices, then work out if it worth it, always weighing up the cost of a replacement car .

Regards bob. 

1 hour ago, Bo67 said:

Hi Pete, they are a real pain to remove and replace, skoda/VW seem to put the crankshaft  sensor in a place you cannot get to, that was the case for my skoda roomster,  dont know if the Octavia is the same but it looks like it, l had to get  my local guys at Mr Clutch to remove the gearbox to access it, not a easy job but for them easy because they do them all day, gave me a good price so l had to bite the bullet and pay them, got the sensor off Ebay not to expensive. Just do you homework and get some prices, then work out if it worth it, always weighing up the cost of a replacement car .

Regards bob. 

Thanks for the reply, Bob. That bears out everything my mechanic said. Was hoping there might be a hack, like taking a blow torch to it or something. She’s a lovely car, but I’ve had a few problems with her lately, so I’m veering towards a two year old Dacia Duster or Skoda Kamiq.

Hopefully I’ll get 16 years out of the next one! 

Have a good weekend. 

Skoda kamiq sounds ok. Can do most things myself, but the crankshaft sensors are a real pain, had to replace egr as well again a real pain to replace ,got the boys at mr clutch to do that as well, but bought it one owner at the right price,  it's my runaround  car, taking rubbish to the tip etc and all the seats come out and it turns into a van. Roomster is a great little  car .

Regards bob. 

56 minutes ago, Bo67 said:

Skoda kamiq sounds ok. Can do most things myself, but the crankshaft sensors are a real pain, had to replace egr as well again a real pain to replace ,got the boys at mr clutch to do that as well, but bought it one owner at the right price,  it's my runaround  car, taking rubbish to the tip etc and all the seats come out and it turns into a van. Roomster is a great little  car .

Regards bob. 

Skoda makes great cars, although I have been warned there are oil pressure problems with the 1.6 and 2.0 diesels that even Skoda doesn’t understand. My 1.9tdi has been great. Egr warning light has been on mine since about 30k miles, even after I had it changed. I think it’s a very Audi thing. All the best!