Good Independent Garage in or near North Essex possible new Water Pump & Cambelt

I've always had my car serviced by main dealers since new, but now I'm seeking a good independent garage.

I've just started getting my temperature gauge going towards the red on motorways (occasionally) which I'm told means the water pump is on its way out, it does cool once i slow down.

Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.  

• 3 months later...

No advice received from this forum however by luck John Austin in Marks Tey Essex were really helpful & did the job for a good price. 

Welcome to Briskoda cmw1965 and sorry for the lack of a response back in October. I’m pleased you found a good indy and ditched the main dealer network. I did the same in early ‘21 after being told by Lookers that it needed a new cambelt; best bit of advice they ever gave me as I never looked back. 👍🏻

Thanks numskull.

I've never owned a better car.

I hope someone goes to JA they seemed fair on all fronts.

My next Q is how long I keep the car, I see they are good for way beyond 100K miles?  

26 minutes ago, cmw1965 said:

Thanks numskull.

I've never owned a better car.

I hope someone goes to JA they seemed fair on all fronts.

My next Q is how long I keep the car, I see they are good for way beyond 100K miles?  

Hi cmw1965. I've decided to repsond to you quicker than the 3+ Months it took to get your last reply 🙂

I rack up miles like there was no tomorrow, generally 700 to 1000 miles per week, and In my opinion (Which I'm sure is shared with many others on this forum), The VAG TDis to tend to be pretty robust. 

I'm on my 7th Skoda TDi, and 4 of those have passed 130K  like it was nothing.

I guess it'll be down to regular servicing, regular lengthy drives, Timing belt/Waterpump changes (Which you've done recently anyway), plus DSG Fluid changes also.

Just in the way of a nosey question. if you don't mind... How much did your Timing belt and Waterpump replacement cost? (feel free to PM me if your not happy posting it here).

Thanks and happy motoring. 

It was <£700.

Main dealers & other primary locals were asking £1k+ & could'nt accomodate me within a reasonable time frame & I need to work or I don't get paid!

Everyone has to earn a living I know.

• Thanks 1