Wireless android auto doesn't work

Hi all.

I've finally binned of my second 21 plate Octavia because of the huge list of random problems (all software related on both of them). I've gone for a 73 plate Superb instead as it doesn't use the "new" system with a large screen etc, and it's way better! Things just work and I don't have a random error generator and a dice throw to see if the car will actually start anymore. I only have one problem. When I start the car wireless android auto connects and starts working, but as soon as the built in sat nav finally boots AA gets disconnected and will no longer connect, until I plug my phone in. 

AA was one of the few things that worked reliably on my Octavia's (well, when the 12v battery wasn't completely flat that is).

It seems to be another Skoda software issue but was wondering if anyone else has come across this?

Thanks

Dave

My Superb is a 15 plate Mk3 so might be different to yours.  I have to plug my Android in to get Waze or Google maps to work.  If I fire up the Skoda Sat Nav it bins the Android Sat Nav (Waze etc).  I believe that you can only have one Sat Nav working at a time.  Either the cars Sat Nav or the Android Auto.  

AA wireless starts fine on ignition start, on the main dash it always shows the built in navigation (even when AA is working wired) but it takes a short while to boot, during this time AA wireless is displayed on the infotainment screen, as soon as the dash shows a map AA wireless changes to disconnected and won't connect unless I plug my phone in. A Skoda guy said he thinks it's a known issue but wasn't 100% sure.

My AAWireless dongle doesn't get disconnected by bringing up the built-in satnav.

I have an MIB2 unit though, one with buttons.

If I have an active map guidance via Android Auto (AA), and I select to navigate via built-in satnav, then guidance stops on the AA.

Likewise, if I have active map guidance on the built-in satnav, and I select to navigate via AA, then guidance stops on the satnav.

Either way, no disconnections whatsoever though.

Edited by JR RS

• 2 weeks later...

For me it connects wirelessly when I start the ignition, once the infotainment has finished boot it disconnects until I plug in. 

If wireless aa isn't supported you don't get the option of connect until plugged in, if it is supported you get the option to connect, click connect and it should, but for me it fails, unless the ignition is just switched on (about 30 seconds from ignition on until aa disconnect for me).

• 2 months later...
On 13/11/2023 at 21:24, Dave2318 said:

For me it connects wirelessly when I start the ignition, once the infotainment has finished boot it disconnects until I plug in. 

If wireless aa isn't supported you don't get the option of connect until plugged in, if it is supported you get the option to connect, click connect and it should, but for me it fails, unless the ignition is just switched on (about 30 seconds from ignition on until aa disconnect for me).

Hi. Just resurrecting this thread because I've got what sounds like the same problem. Just swapped my 21 Superb for a new one and now my wireless AA connection fails after a few seconds. The same phone worked fine in my old superb so I'm stumped what the problem could be. Did you find a solution to your problem please?

Have to be honest, I've not checked back with them since, the Skoda garage should know if there is a firmware update to fix it though. I'm going to be giving them a call in the next few weeks as it appears my boot is leaking so will be asking them then. Not got the spare time to take the car in at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I know of. An update to android auto is being rolled out but hasn't  automatically reached my phone yet. However, I installed the apk yesterday and unfortunately it's not made a difference to the wireless disconnection issue. It did stay connected for an extended period once but it turned out to a one off event! 

• Like 1

I don't think it's an AA issue, worked perfectly on my Octavia the same day I replaced it with my Superb. I'm trying to get in contact with my garage to get the boot fixed as it leaks and randomly opens, also going to ask them if there is a firmware update for the car that fixes it yet. Basically when I first start the car AA wireless connects perfectly, then as the infotainment system finishes booting it force disconnects.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar position, worked fine in my 21 superb on 8th January when I took it to dealer. Has never worked in my 24 superb, same phone. There are lots of people with all sorts of cars and phones reporting the same thing, wireless will not stay connected. That suggests to me it's AA at fault but I'm only guessing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have figured a temporary fix (works until ignition switched off.

Menu>settings>wi-fi>infotainment system as a hotspot>use as hotspot (turn off)

Head back to android auto and agree with everything it says, it turns the WiFi back on and works!

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2024 at 08:47, Dave2318 said:

I have figured a temporary fix (works until ignition switched off.

Menu>settings>wi-fi>infotainment system as a hotspot>use as hotspot (turn off)

Head back to android auto and agree with everything it says, it turns the WiFi back on and works!

Thanks for the tip, it works! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've just received an update to my superb IV around 3.8gb and it has completely resolved the android auto wireless connection issue. 

18 minutes ago, Balrick said:

Hi

I've just received an update to my superb IV around 3.8gb and it has completely resolved the android auto wireless connection issue. 

I was intending to come here and post the same. Only had a limited amount of time to test but looking hopeful 

• Love it! 1

I've used it over the last few days and it connects everytime and I can switch between Apple carplay and AA with no problems.

All it seems to do now is pause briefly when the built in sat nav loads up but continues to run rather than lose connection as it did on both platforms previously