Slight uneven drop in revs at Idle on VRS

cello

Just thought I would mention it and wondered if anyone has noticed their car have a slight but regular drop in revs at idle? Very minor but coul dbe the sign of something about to go wrong. 

My thought was maybe its the clutch @149K making a rumble and then I saw a post on camshaft wear at idle mmmmmmm

I know its not the right forum but I need a drivers door in silver after I got taken out my a drunk in a old range rover......what a daft ****  he is! My third no fault attack on the VRS in just over to years,,,,, what am I a **** magnet Grrrrrrrrrrr

29 minutes ago, vindaloo said:

Check the brake servo booster pipe for splits. Mine started going on the connection down between the engine and the airbox. Additional symptom after a while was occasional erratic servo assist.

VRS is a diesel so uses a vacuum pump for the servo which can't affect idle speed.

The regularity of the idle speed variation could be down to a failing DMF.

Edited by sepulchrave

9 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

VRS is a diesel so uses a vacuum pump for the servo which can't affect idle speed.

The regularity of the idle speed variation could be down to a failing DMF.

I must be getting my symptoms mixed up. Brother's Ibiza FR has a very dodgy DMF, do they all sound like bricks breaking in cement mixers?

4 hours ago, vindaloo said:

I must be getting my symptoms mixed up. Brother's Ibiza FR has a very dodgy DMF, do they all sound like bricks breaking in cement mixers?

When they're bad, but they generally start failing long beforehand so uneven idle can be an early symptom.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, yes I think with the clutch disengaged the idle is fine, its only when engaged the issue is apparent.

I dont do any launches as such but sometimes when feeding in second gear from too low a speed I get a squeak , which I guess is clutch related although could be the gearbox mount as well maybe.

Any idea how long the clutch/DMF  might last before she fails completely and what are my options , another DMF or something  simpler? I'm not really into tuning her up but I might be persuaded to get a 180HP remap in the future just for fun , nothing silly just a bit more poke for fun. Not sure if that limits my options re the clutch but will have a look around the forum for advice. TIA

5 hours ago, cello said:

Thanks for all the replies, yes I think with the clutch disengaged the idle is fine, its only when engaged the issue is apparent.

I dont do any launches as such but sometimes when feeding in second gear from too low a speed I get a squeak , which I guess is clutch related although could be the gearbox mount as well maybe.

Any idea how long the clutch/DMF  might last before she fails completely and what are my options , another DMF or something  simpler? I'm not really into tuning her up but I might be persuaded to get a 180HP remap in the future just for fun , nothing silly just a bit more poke for fun. Not sure if that limits my options re the clutch but will have a look around the forum for advice. TIA

Not sure that proves it TBH. The flywheel is still rotating, only the gearbox end of things is stopped with the clutch pushed down.

The axial loading from the clutch release bearing compressing the clutch diaphragm will stop the outer mass from flapping around.

• Like 2

And they reckon a DMF is the way to go as the clatter and vibration from the diesel engine is significantly reduced. Apparently some people who replaced a DMF with a SMF were not impressed with the differences as far as comfort and general running.

Almost twenty years and 150K from a DMF I guess its a DMF for me in the spring (!) :)

• Like 1