superb ambient light controller?

Athrx

hi everyone. hopefully tomorrow i'm buying a 2017 skoda superb in l&k trim! now, the first thing after doing all the vcds mods is to take the headliner off and put "starlight" optic fibers in it. i would like to achieve this by piggy backing off the light strips in the dashboard and doors, but i need to know if it's just 3 led's each with their own wire or a single adressable rgb module. has anyone taken one apart or retrofitted it?

lastly, any must have mods i need to consider?

Of course it can't be something standard.. 

I guess i'm left to buy a spare and see if i can solder anything on the led contact pads as signal wires, or even better, use that as the optic fiber base

It's still an RGB led with a small controller, it's pretty normal and standard for a car rather than having loads of wires everywhere.

There are lots of other RGB lights that can be added, for example footwell, center console and door pocket using OEM parts + coding. For instance I've added OEM RGB footwell lights to my '18 Octavia.

You might also want to look into the aftermarket Chinese footwell light controllers too as they might offer an easier way to interface into the car.

• Like 1

I'm upset about the lack of following a-rgb led standard, not the lack of wires.

And please do share some part numbers if you've still got any on hand. Beyond actually putting the oem rgb lights, i figure they are a bit easier to hijack the decoded signal from by desoldering the led's and using their contact pads from a spare one

As in you'd expect them to use one of the many addressable LED standards like WS281x?

The issue with that is it's only one-way communication so although you've set a colour/brightness, you've no idea if it's actually worked or if an LED is even present. Even more so in the relatively electrically noisy environment of a car causing potential interference. At least with LIN-bus the controller will get a reply confirming the state change etc...

Anyway - the footwell lights I used are:

- 8W0947415A
- 8W0947415B
- 8W0947415C
- 8W0947415D

Someone over on drive2 took both an OEM footwell light and Chinese clone apart to show what's in them here; https://www.drive2.ru/l/599712675525567704/

Amongst the other work they've done, they also spent some time decoding the LIN-bus messages too: https://www.drive2.ru/l/627181224766488475/

• 4 months later...

Hello, is there a difference in connecting the ambiente to the Superb 3 facelift and pre-facelift and in the coding when MIB3 is already there?